Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I feel sorry for the lad, a more active social life in S.Korea means he's letting the side down quite badly.

So I'll sit in and post this:

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM
This could be quite bad, if they don't get on top of it, soon.

QuoteDeadly Ebola virus reaches Guinea capital Conakry - UN

An outbreak of the Ebola virus - which has already killed 59 people in Guinea - has reached the capital Conakry, the UN's children agency has warned.

Unicef said the haemorrhagic fever had spread quickly from southern Guinea, hundreds of kilometres away.

Scores of cases have been recorded since the outbreak began last month. There is no known cure or vaccine.

It is spread by close personal contact with people who are infected and kills between 25% and 90% of victims.

Symptoms include internal and external bleeding, diarrhoea and vomiting.
Sprawling city

"At least 59 out of 80 who contracted Ebola across the West African country have died so far," a Unicef statement quoted by the AFP news agency.

"Over the past few days, the deadly haemorrhagic fever has quickly spread from the communities of Macenta, Gueckedou, and Kissidougou to the capital Conakry."

Conakry is a sprawling port city, where up to two million people currently live.

Rest of item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-26701733
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Yikes! The thing about Ebola is that it usually burns itself out because it's too fast and deadly and thus fails to spread too far. If it actually gets established in a major city we could see a disaster on the scale of the epidemics that decimated the New World.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2014, 04:56:59 PM
Yikes! The thing about Ebola is that it usually burns itself out because it's too fast and deadly and thus fails to spread too far. If it actually gets established in a major city we could see a disaster on the scale of the epidemics that decimated the New World.

Excellent, thanks for the on form reply; sorry about your social life.

Did you notice the effort I went too, to forge the quote.   :D

mongers

CountDeMoney

Yikes! The thing about Ebola is that it usually burns itself out because it's too fast and deadly and thus fails to spread too far.

The rural and remote African villages and communities that have seen Ebola over and over deal with it the same way they have for centuries;  when a villager is seen with the early symptoms, they wind up confined to their hut.  Food and water is left at the hut entrance for them every day, and if they recover, good for them;  but the day after the food and water is no longer touched, it's time to burn down the hut. 

That's what keeps Ebola at bay, and has worked for centuries: proactive, communal and localized public health awareness.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2014, 07:38:42 PM
Yikes! The thing about Ebola is that it usually burns itself out because it's too fast and deadly and thus fails to spread too far.

The rural and remote African villages and communities that have seen Ebola over and over deal with it the same way they have for centuries;  when a villager is seen with the early symptoms, they wind up confined to their hut.  Food and water is left at the hut entrance for them every day, and if they recover, good for them;  but the day after the food and water is no longer touched, it's time to burn down the hut. 

That's what keeps Ebola at bay, and has worked for centuries: proactive, communal and localized public health awareness.
Much harder to enforce in a crowded slum however. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

Meh. Since the initial 1967 outbreak Ebola and Marburg have only killed 3000 people. Ebola doesn't spread quickly because it requires direct contact with the host's fluids to become infected. You don't need Outbreak style spacesuits to prevent spread. Gloves and gown are enough.

It'd be much more contagious if it spread via a fecal-oral route like polio or respiratory droplets like influenza.

The Brain

How many people in Africa actually eat da poo poo?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Fate on March 23, 2014, 11:39:39 PM

Meh. Since the initial 1967 outbreak Ebola and Marburg have only killed 3000 people. Ebola doesn't spread quickly because it requires direct contact with the host's fluids to become infected. You don't need Outbreak style spacesuits to prevent spread. Gloves and gown are enough.

It'd be much more contagious if it spread via a fecal-oral route like polio or respiratory droplets like influenza.
How do you know this strain isn't the one that has mutated to that mode of transmission? We could be doomed good sir!  :mad:

1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Go check for us and let us know, K timmay?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2014, 07:38:42 PM

And a massive federal bureaucracy overseeing it all.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.