News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I've never had that buffalo sammich thing.  I bet the writer just picked that as they drove by Laramie at 90mph on I-80.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Dude I work with is in town for meetings next week and brought his girlfriend along, and we went to this place in Germantown called EiDERDOWN.  It was DER BOMB. :showoff:

I had duck fat popcorn, beer cheese, and a 'nachburger' medium rare with German tater salad, washed down with a hefeweizen and chocolate pot de creme for dessert.  The burger was made with all local ingredients (local grass beef, bacon, etc.) served on a brioche bun.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

No city of appreciable size can eat locally. It's logistically impossible. I am not oppressing you with math.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Despite my office being literally a good stone's throw from Chinatown, I've only gone there to any of the numerous restaurants 2-3 times in the last 3 years.

But today I went with a group of lawyers for Dim Sum.  Good stuff, even if I did pass on the chicken feet. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

I'm eating one of these:

These are like Canadian Mallomars, but... just not nearly as good as Mallomars.  :(

EDIT:  All the more ironic since it seems Mallomars themselves are produced exclusively in Canada these days.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Lifesavers. I feel old, I didn't even know about raspberry which apparently has been a flavor for more than a decade now. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I've had a craving for that cheap chicken teriyaki over noodles from Sarku Japan. 

Anyway, looks like we're having yet another obscure Argentine dish tonight :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I gained 2 pounds looking at that picture.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on March 03, 2014, 07:27:54 PM
I've had a craving for that cheap chicken teriyaki over noodles from Sarku Japan. 

Anyway, looks like we're having yet another obscure Argentine dish tonight :mellow:

Lucky you. I had a bowl of oatmeal.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: PDH on February 28, 2014, 07:24:25 PM
I've never had that buffalo sammich thing.  I bet the writer just picked that as they drove by Laramie at 90mph on I-80.

Ahem, 100. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 01, 2014, 11:52:15 PM
No city of appreciable size can eat locally. It's logistically impossible. I am not oppressing you with math.
:hmm:

derspiess

Beer brought out my appetite & since I had a very light dinner, I made myself a Lebanon Bologna & havarti sammich.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2014, 11:12:33 PM
Lebanon Bologna
:mmm:

btw not sure where you got it but the Lebanon bologna they sell at Kroger usually ain't the real deal.  It should have peppercorns or some shit like that around the edges of each slice.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2014, 11:16:04 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2014, 11:12:33 PM
Lebanon Bologna
:mmm:

btw not sure where you got it but the Lebanon bologna they sell at Kroger usually ain't the real deal.  It should have peppercorns or some shit like that around the edges of each slice.

I've had it that way, but I don't remember my favorite brand (Seltzer's?) having it.  Anyway, this stuff was pretty well-made.  Boar's Head is usually pretty solid. 

I remember back in Delaware you had your choice of like 5 or 6 brands or variants in most delis.

Capetan Mihali

Ah, Lebanon ham. :)

I miss all that Pennsyltucky food and drink. :(  I really lived the dream there for a while, residing in Philadelphia but driving to see my girlfriend in Pittsburgh every other weekend.  Taking day trips to Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and Allentown.  Side trips to Delco all the time, Doylestown, Norristown.  Stopping off in Altoona, Harrisburg, Ephrata, Carlisle, Lancaster, Lebanon, Reading, etc.  Only place of note I never really got to was Erie.  And most of the emptiness that comprises the famous "T."

So I ate cheesesteaks (American w/ fried onions) all over Phila. and Delco (since some of the best spots were actually in inner suburbs like Upper Darby), noting the regional subtleties; for instance, steaks in Northeast Phila. use sliced beef rather than chopped.  I ate warm links of soft pretzels every morning in the freezing pre-work darkness as I walked past a pretzel bakery on my way to the bus stop, three for a dollar.  I cooled off with cones of water ice outside the library on hot summer days.  I ate stromboli where it was invented in the early 50s (and named after the movie), at a place by the airport in Essington.  I got take-out panzarotti, those fried little calzone things peculiar to South Jersey and South Philly.  I gorged on the roast pork sandwiches, dripping with juice, sharp provolone and greens.  I ate scrapple and fried eggs in countless greasy spoons, accompanied by bad coffee and a cigarette burning in the ashtray, before the smoking ban.  Sometimes I swapped pork roll, but scrapple was my preference.  I ate Primanti sandwiches in downtown Pittsburgh, pierogies and halupki in Bloomfield, chipped ham on a day trip to Wheeling W.V., and great hot dogs in Oakland.  For dessert, there was always Clark bars out west, Tastykakes and Goldenberg's Peanut Chews out east, whoopie pies in Dutch country.  And I washed it all down with cases (and it was always cases because of the wacky liquor laws) of cheap beer: Iron City, Rolling Rock, Straub, Lionshead, Stegmaier, Yuengling Lager, Lord Chesterfield Ale, Schmidt's, Reading Premium, etc.  Not to mention the occasional pint of a delightful microbrew, of which there were too many to name.  A cold Pennsylvania Dutch birch beer now and then for non-alcoholic refreshment.

Between my mind-numbing sedentary job, newfound discovery of happy hour, and culinary explorations, I put on 40 pounds, it's true.  But I did it in the true Pennsylvania way. :sleep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)