News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:04:46 PM
They seemed to have been going for the weirdest sandwich they could find in each state as opposed to the one that actually typifies the state.

In some cases, yes; but the Cuban is certainly Florida's sandwich.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:05:33 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 28, 2014, 03:04:25 PM
I was in Pittsburgh for business once. 
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

When you're from Detroit every city is an improvement.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:04:46 PM
They seemed to have been going for the weirdest sandwich they could find in each state as opposed to the one that actually typifies the state.

For some states they got it right though. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

@Sav Yet, to a lot of people, that sandwich would be odd what with the roast pork and all.  Same for the fried baloney sandwich from 'Arkansas' (in reality it's all over the Midwest and Upper South).

Overall I would have to say the Cuban sandwich is the best one on the list if it's done well.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Yeah, but you gotta pick the trashiest state for fried bologna.  That was probably a coin-flip between Arkansas and West Virginia.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Fried baloney is Kentucky Steak.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 03:10:36 PM
Yeah, but you gotta pick the trashiest state for fried bologna.  That was probably a coin-flip between Arkansas and West Virginia.
West Virginia should have been those pepperoni roll things (though maybe those can't really be considered sandwiches).

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:16:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 03:10:36 PM
West Virginia should have been those pepperoni roll things (though maybe those can't really be considered sandwiches).

Yeah.  Or hotdogs if those could be considered sandwiches.

Actually a Tudor's biscuit with sausage would be a breakfast sandwich, I guess.

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Pork tenderloin is much more common in Iowa than loose meat.

I personally think it tastes like breading in a bun.

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2014, 03:29:36 PM
I personally think it tastes like breading in a bun.
In other words, the perfect sandwich for MIDDLE UMURRICA. :)

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 03:22:09 PM
Yeah.  Or hotdogs if those could be considered sandwiches.

Actually a Tudor's biscuit with sausage would be a breakfast sandwich, I guess.
I know they have those hotdog stands all over the place, but if anyone needs to have hotdogs, it's gotta be Illinois.

Ed Anger

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:32:04 PMI know they have those hotdog stands all over the place, but if anyone needs to have hotdogs, it's gotta be Illinois.

Chicago has too many iconic foods to pick one.

One sandwich that was everywhere when I was a kid were those shredded turkey in gravy on a bun. Seemed like every event had those.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers