News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

My gourmet bachelor dish is a can of tuna in mac.  With parmesan on top.  :)

sbr

I love me some mac and tuna.  I do not like Parmesan cheese.

Tonitrus

My recent bachelor dish:

- 1 bag of Trader Joe's turkey meatballs.
- 1 bag of Trader Joe's frozen vegetable blend.

- Microwave meatballs long enough to be able to cut, thaw veggies under hot water, dice meatballs, mix all together in cook in a wok for a bit.  Makes a couple 350-400 calorie meals (one usually saved for lunch the next day).

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

http://www.zagat.com/b/50-states-50-sandwiches

I shouldn't have gone through this list so far ahead of lunchtime.  They have some really good picks.  I swear I've been to at least 10 of the restaurants mentioned.  I'm a sucker for trying the local sandwich speciality for lunch when I travel on business. 

They even have Seedy's favorite Lake Trout in there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 10:46:23 AM

I shouldn't have gone through this list so far ahead of lunchtime.  They have some really good picks.  I swear I've been to at least 10 of the restaurants mentioned.  I'm a sucker for trying the local sandwich speciality for lunch when I travel on business. 

Mention the Polish Boy and Cal will splooge in his trousers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

That's actually one I had never heard of. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

From that list, I have had:

Alabama: Alabama-Style Chicken Sandwich With White Sauce
Arkansas: Fried Bologna Sandwich (not in Arkansas though... we have those exact sandwiches here)
California: The French Dip
Connecticut: Connecticut-Style Hot Lobster Roll
Florida: The Cuban
Illinois: The Italian Beef
Indiana: The Pork Tenderloin
Iowa: Loose-Meat Sandwich (in Missouri, though)
Kentucky: The Hot Brown
Louisiana: The Muffaletta
Maine: Lobster Roll
Massachusetts: The Fluffernutter
New Hampshire: Beer-Battered Fish Sandwich
New Jersey: Italian Sub - White House Subs is literally the best sub shop on the planet  :licklips:
North Carolina: Chopped Pork
Ohio: The Polish Boy  :cool:
Texas: Brisket on Toast
Vermont: Vermonter
Wisconsin: The Red Brat

I never even heard of the place listed for Pennsylvania, and it's ludicrous that the state sammich wasn't the cheesesteak.  Jersey probably should have been the Pork Roll, too, though like I said White House Subs in AC is amazing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 11:21:02 AM
That's actually one I had never heard of.
It seems like it has become very hard to get in Cleveland.  I had to hunt around till I found a place that sold it, and that place has closed since I was up there.  IIRC that Seti's Polish Boy vendor is actually a lunch truck.

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 10:46:23 AM

A pasty isn't a sandwich.   :mad:

;)

Those are only popular in the western half of Michigan's upper peninsula.  I went to college up there, and I don't much care for them; they're bland and heavy.  The locals love them, though they douse them in catsup.

Given the prolific number of Greek and Middle Eastern cafes in the Detroit area the Gyro would probably have been a better choice for Michigan; or maybe the loose hamburgers from the Coney Islands.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 07:55:17 AM
I never even heard of the place listed for Pennsylvania, and it's ludicrous that the state sammich wasn't the cheesesteak. 

I was in Pittsburgh for business once.  My coworkers insisted that we go to Primanti Brothers for their signature sandwich of meat, cole slaw and fries; but none of the Pistburghers ordered that.  After having one I didn't blame them.  So at least Pennsylvania's wasn't that.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

They seemed to have been going for the weirdest sandwich they could find in each state as opposed to the one that actually typifies the state.

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on February 28, 2014, 03:04:25 PM
I was in Pittsburgh for business once. 
I'm sorry to hear that. :(