And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Savonarola

When my grandfather was a young man he lived in a multi-ethnic neighborhood on Detroit's west side.  Every Greek immigrant his family knew had a restaurant; so he assumed that every Greek owned a restaurant.  He wasn't too far off in Detroit; the typical family restaurant and the ubiquitous Coney Island serves Greek food.  CB and I went to one yesterday; National Coney Island.  I had their Coney Dogs, a hot dog topped with a meat chili; the chili is flavored with typical Greek spices like oregano and garlic.  CB got the Gyros with chicken lemon rice soup (soup avgolemono, but no one calls it that in Detroit.)

The other common dish most local restaurants carry is a Greek salad.  The salads I had in Athens were simply tomato, onion and feta with an oil and vinegar dressing.  In Detroit a Greek salad is iceberg lettuce, salad peppers, feta, onions, beets, garbanzo beans, and black olives.  The dressing usually an oil and vinegar dressing with feta, oregano and garlic.  This is so common in Detroit that many bar and grills will carry it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Made a Cuban breakfast this morning.  Cafe con leche, fried ham, eggs and rice, tostadas, and tostones. :licklips:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: fhdz on December 26, 2013, 09:12:32 AM
Yesterday I ate: prime rib :wub: , potatoes au gratin, green beans with almonds, a really good green salad with some pickled onions, more potatoes, and a sampling of about three billion desserts, including ice cream sandwiches made with homemade chocolate chip cookies.

If this is a restaurant in Portland, spill it....I might visit the area in the Spring.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Iormlund

Admiral Yi

Italian wedding soup and Beef Stroganoff.

katmai

Late breakfast of Home fries, bacon and eggs.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Everybody gets stroganoff but me.

:mad:  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Syt

Had a burger with chili beans, jalapenos, grilled bacon, onion, tomatoes, lettuce and extra cheddar. Also, home fries and a chili beef wrap. And Mountain Dew.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2013, 08:18:28 AM
Had a burger with chili beans, jalapenos, grilled bacon, onion, tomatoes, lettuce and extra cheddar. Also, home fries and a chili beef wrap. And Mountain Dew.

Welcome to the Interstate 80 Bar and Grill.  Would you like seconds?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2013, 08:18:28 AM

No crab juice?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi