Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

CB and I went to the Detroit staple Buddy's Pizza for lunch.  While both Little Caesar's and Domino's originated in Metro Detroit; Detroiters tend to consider Buddy's as Detroit style pizza:

It's square, deep dish and cooked in cast iron pans.  The pizza isn't as thick as a Chicago-style pizza and the crust isn't at all like what you'd get at Gino's East or Pizza Uno.  It's crisp and much less dense.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Looks like what I've seen before called Sicilian style.

Ed Anger

I didn't get my beef stroganoff.   :(

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2013, 04:51:01 PM
Looks like what I've seen before called Sicilian style.

Leave it to the Guineas to take credit for Detroit's hard work.   :(

(Or, at least, that's what they say at Chrysler...)

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 22, 2013, 08:44:14 AM
I popped a couple of tarts.

Yeah.  Good one.

The answer for today is "too fucking much": camerones a la diabla at one of my local Mexican eateries while I was having my tires replaced, and I finished the entire complimentary basket of chips by myself too; several scoops' worth of ice cream; and I just opened the package of hot fries.  I'm all fucked up and I need some kind of stimulant to bring my appetite down.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Sounds expensive, but fine.  Probably won't help my teeth grinding issue.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Liep

A 'New York' sandwich. Pastrami, comté cheese, onions marinated in something, mustard and lettuce. :mmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 22, 2013, 10:56:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 22, 2013, 08:44:14 AM
I popped a couple of tarts.

Yeah.  Good one.

The answer for today is "too fucking much": camerones a la diabla at one of my local Mexican eateries while I was having my tires replaced, and I finished the entire complimentary basket of chips by myself too; several scoops' worth of ice cream; and I just opened the package of hot fries.  I'm all fucked up and I need some kind of stimulant to bring my appetite down.

I don't even think I cracked the 1800 calorie barrier yesterday. I suffer from a soul crushing ennui.

Savonarola

I got dinner with my wife and some friends last night at one of metro Detroit's older restaurants, Peking House.  I had a dish that is common to the Detroit-Windsor area, but almost unheard of anywhere else; Almond Boneless Chicken (ABC on many menus; Wai Shu Gai on ones that try to pass it off as authentic Chinese.)  It's an Americanized Chinese Dish, that's deep fried chicken served on a bed of iceberg lettuce and served with a spicy gravy and almonds:

Some restaurants take liberties with it, the version I had last night had broccoli in it.

The other unusual thing that you'll see at many Chinese restaurants in Detroit is that take out, (and sometimes sit-down meals) comes with sweet rolls.  That's likely because a number of restaurant owners had lived in Hawaii before they came to Detroit.

fhdz

Yesterday I ate: prime rib :wub: , potatoes au gratin, green beans with almonds, a really good green salad with some pickled onions, more potatoes, and a sampling of about three billion desserts, including ice cream sandwiches made with homemade chocolate chip cookies.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

I ate a McDonalds Big Breakfast.

The breakfast of champions.