News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

My mother in law likes to cook me dinner for my birthday.  I always ask her to make something from a different ethnic cuisine each year because I like to broaden peoples' horizons. :cool:

This year, I picked Dutch in honor of my Dutch ancestors.  She will be making this thing where you boil a bunch of taters and then sort of mash them up with butter.  In a separate pot you cook down greens (kale or endive) and steam sausage over top of them, and in a skillet you cook up small pieces of bacon and onion.  At the end you mix it all together and serve the sausage on top.  I forget what it's called off the top of my head but it means "mash pot" in Dutch I think.

I also had her make me an apple pie for dessert but it's a little different than an 'American' apple pie in that you mix in cream of wheat/semolina and shredded bread and use a bunch more spices than usual (including cardamom and black pepper), and raisins soaked in rum or brandy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

The apple pie sounds good anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2013, 10:49:01 AM
My mother in law likes to cook me dinner for my birthday.  I always ask her to make something from a different ethnic cuisine each year because I like to broaden peoples' horizons. :cool:

This year, I picked Dutch in honor of my Dutch ancestors.  She will be making this thing where you boil a bunch of taters and then sort of mash them up with butter.  In a separate pot you cook down greens (kale or endive) and steam sausage over top of them, and in a skillet you cook up small pieces of bacon and onion.  At the end you mix it all together and serve the sausage on top.  I forget what it's called off the top of my head but it means "mash pot" in Dutch I think.

I also had her make me an apple pie for dessert but it's a little different than an 'American' apple pie in that you mix in cream of wheat/semolina and shredded bread and use a bunch more spices than usual (including cardamom and black pepper), and raisins soaked in rum or brandy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamppot

?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2013, 10:49:01 AM

Sounds similar to the Northwest German "Grünkohl" dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale

QuoteA whole culture around kale has developed in north-western Germany around the towns of Bremen, Oldenburg and Hannover. There, most social clubs of any kind will have a Grünkohlessen or Kohlfahrt ("kale tour") sometime between October and February, visiting a country inn to consume large quantities of kale stew, Pinkel sausage, Kassler, Mettwurst and Schnapps. These tours are often combined with a game of Boßeln. Most communities in the area have a yearly kale festival which includes naming a "kale king" (or queen).

:mmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I ate Burger King. 2 hamburgers with ketchup only, small fries.

I ate it all alone sitting in my car.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Why wouldn't you have gone in? :huh:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2013, 12:29:21 PM
Why wouldn't you have gone in? :huh:

Because I find fast food restaurants dining rooms to work on my last nerve, especially during lunch rushes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2013, 12:14:51 PM

:mmm:
Yeah, I think it's supposed to basically be that except everything is mixed together in one pot.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

On the way to lunch I turned on XM and HOLY DIVER was playing on the Boneyard. :punk:

Then I got to BK and ordered an ANGRY WHOPPER.

In a moment of genius, I realized that Dio could do a commercial jingle for BK about the ANGRY WHOPPER to the tune of HOLY DIVER.

Then I rememberd Dio was dead.  FML  :(

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

They're back, and they're mad as hell!

Ideologue

Bought a pizza last night.  As I stopped at the exit to the parking lot, it slid off my seat, the box opened, and the pizza fell in my floorboard.

They were kind enough to make me another one. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Bacon, eggs, homefries with onions, cantaloupe, and cafe con leche. :cool: