News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 15, 2013, 11:25:01 PM
The quality is definitely better than the average supermarket kind, I think.

"You think"?   :yeahright:  For all that work and hassle it better be: 1) OMFG amazing could never get pastrami with this sublime taste and texture out of the Lower East Side!; 2) OMFG a bargain, it tastes the same as the
Boar's Head in the supermarket, but it averages out to $0.85/pound!

Or, I guess, 3) I really actually love doing all this prep work and smoking shenanigans, and if the end product is OK and not a huge waste of dough, I'm cool with it.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

NEers. :rolleyes:

You will buy your food from Wal-Mart like everyone else and you will enjoy it. :angry:

:P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2013, 11:46:38 PM
NEers. :rolleyes:

You will buy your food from Wal-Mart like everyone else and you will enjoy it. :angry:

:P

Nothing wrong with Wal-Mart food...Cheerios are Cheerios...but I wouldn't spent 20 hours home-cooking Wal-Mart quality lunch meat.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 15, 2013, 11:44:59 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 15, 2013, 11:25:01 PM
The quality is definitely better than the average supermarket kind, I think.

"You think"?   :yeahright:  For all that work and hassle it better be: 1) OMFG amazing could never get pastrami with this sublime taste and texture out of the Lower East Side!; 2) OMFG a bargain, it tastes the same as the
Boar's Head in the supermarket, but it averages out to $0.85/pound!

Or, I guess, 3) I really actually love doing all this prep work and smoking shenanigans, and if the end product is OK and not a huge waste of dough, I'm cool with it.

It's an experiment. I enjoy the process. I might do it again and improve it, or never touch it again. In Europe, charcuterie is commonplace, but over here, it's just not part of the scene. I will be trying salume of various types in a wine fridge with a couple adjustments. I can't buy Jamon Iberico or saucisson sec in the US of pasteurized A. I'm not blowing the cash it will take to make the good stuff until I can at least make some decent pastrami and pancetta. It's education.

So yeah, I wound up with ~5lb pastrami from my experiment. Enough to live on long enough to sail to the New World.  :P

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Brazen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2013, 04:23:14 AM
I can't buy Jamon Iberico or saucisson sec in the US of pasteurized A. I'm not blowing the cash it will take to make the good stuff until I can at least make some decent pastrami and pancetta. It's education.
I weep for you :cry:

Your home-made pastrami sounds amazing! :mmm:

We've moved offices so I've been trying to find somewhere to get a cheap lunch. Stumbled on a Persian cafe and had a pitta bread wrap with hot chicken kebab, hummus, raw spinach and pomegranate. Deee-lish, and cheaper that a supermarket sandwich.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2013, 11:42:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2013, 04:33:21 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 11, 2013, 04:00:41 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2013, 11:46:24 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2013, 11:44:27 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2013, 11:43:45 AM
A sausage and egg biscuit(NO CHEESE) from Tudor's Biscuit World.  :)
Dude, I LOVE that place!  They have them in Dayton? :hmm:

Xenia. I wish the franchisee would expand a bit.

We could start a Languish franchise....

...right across the street from the Languish Tilted-Kilt franchise.

I will NEVER, EVER work in a restaurant again.

As an owner, I actually think I would totally love to work in a restaurant again.  It's exercise, free (well, available) food that you presumably like, it's bossing people around, it's feeding people which is a far more direct and less ambiguous social good than I currently provide, obviously contributing to net utility.  I could have a self-righteous vegetarian section on the menu.  There are teenagers to sexually harass.  It's got it all.

Right. Closed in 6 months.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 15, 2013, 11:48:29 PM
Nothing wrong with Wal-Mart food...Cheerios are Cheerios...but I wouldn't spent 20 hours home-cooking Wal-Mart quality lunch meat.

One pretty awesome thing I've discovered recently is Wal-Mart's party subs.  You can feed a herd of people and still have leftovers for like $20.  And they taste pretty good, to boot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

First street food of the season! :mmm:

I had falafels on a pita from a greek food truck.  Very good. :thumbsup:

I've loved street food since well before the current craze, but I must say I love the current food truck craze.  Though I don't understand the economics of how you pay for that expensive truck when you're pretty much stuck to selling during lunch hours to office workers. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I'd imagine the truck is cheaper than a building.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

The trucks are often extensions of existing restaurants too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Grilled hamburgers, hot dogs for the kids and potato salad.

:mmm:

USA USA USA

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2013, 06:47:53 PM
Grilled hamburgers, hot dogs for the kids and potato salad.

:mmm:

USA USA USA

:thumbsup:
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

I made a teacake, can't get much easier baking than that.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

And now, Peach Cobbler.

Life is good.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2013, 01:53:10 PM
First street food of the season! :mmm:

I had falafels on a pita from a greek food truck.  Very good. :thumbsup:

I've loved street food since well before the current craze, but I must say I love the current food truck craze.  Though I don't understand the economics of how you pay for that expensive truck when you're pretty much stuck to selling during lunch hours to office workers. :hmm:

If they are anything like here, then they are also at every outdoor event in the municipal area.

My friends have two of them and now just do the summer weekend downtown market and 4th of July at the Park event.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son