News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I had a craving for Taco Bell while in France. A deep, dark craving for a bean burrito.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

I made breakfast burritos this morning with scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon.
and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2013, 12:19:50 AM
My local supermarket is finally selling smoked salmon pinwheels again.  :mmm: A more perfect snack food to chase single malt scotch hasn't been invented yet.
It ran out again.  :(  I guess I have to go back to chasing with Triple Stackers.

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 02, 2013, 09:37:14 AM
I had a craving for Taco Bell while in France. A deep, dark craving for a bean burrito.

Learned yesterday you can have them in the UK too, but there only 3 stores.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Yeah, I looked that up last year. I didn't wan't to travel to Hoodieland.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I had lunch at an Irish pub today and had a Scotch egg for the first time.  Delicious.  :mmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 02, 2013, 08:21:57 PM
I had lunch at an Irish pub today and had a Scotch egg for the first time.  Delicious.  :mmm:

Good grief, that's taken you a long time, especially given your Ulster-Scots heritage. 

When a student, a lunch based on two scot eggs used to be a staple of mine.  :)

Though I'm guessing the scotch egg as nothing to do with either Scotland, Ireland or for that matter wholesome eggs.   :bowler:

Caliga

I don't know when the Scotch egg was invented, but it was probably long after my ancestors got the hell out of Blighty.

katmai

Smoking a pork shoulder with homemade rub and gonna make pulled pork, pork Mole and some carnitas from all this damn pork
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Poached egg and hash browns. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 02, 2013, 09:19:31 PM
I don't know when the Scotch egg was invented, but it was probably long after my ancestors got the hell out of Blighty.

I'm gonna guess it's either late Victorian or 1952 post-rationing ?   :)

edit:
Apparently not:

The London department store Fortnum & Mason claims to have invented Scotch eggs in 1738,[1][2] but they may have been inspired by the Moghul dish nargisi kofta ("Narcissus meatballs").[3]

The earliest printed recipe is the 1809 edition of Mrs. Rundell's A New System of Domestic Cookery. Mrs. Rundell—and later 19th-century authors—served them hot, with gravy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg

Caliga

Yes, that's after most of my ancestors got the hell out. :)

Most of my British ancestors were Quakers who came to America prior to 1700.

11B4V

Cooked up some fried spam, scrambled eggs and taters

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Gups

Quote from: 11B4V on March 26, 2013, 12:21:17 PM
Cooked up some fried spam, scrambled eggs and taters

No offence, but that looks like something from the 1973 British Bad Food Guide.

Spam? Solid scrambled eggs? Taters look nice tho'

Had a burger at the much hyped Meat Liquour at lunchtime as I found myslef in Marylebone at the right time and theer were no queues. Decent enough but not worth the hype. At the end of the day there's only so much you can do with a burger.

garbon

What's the alternative to solid scrambled eggs?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.