Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 04:30:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 14, 2012, 02:35:57 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 14, 2012, 12:41:29 AM
Semenovich

:lol:

I hate that transliteration. :lol:  It's totally wrong, although it is hilarious.

Well, a transliteration that would capture the pronunciation better would be "Syemyenovich".  But we usually dispense with the y's.  Much like we use "Gorbachev" instead of "Gorbachyev".

Ideologue

E is one thing, Ё is another, but I looked it up and I guess it actually is Cеменович and not Cемёнович. -_-

But really, aren't we all sons of semen?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: 11B4V on February 14, 2012, 01:29:46 AM
Lord have mercy, the motha load. Thems some big boobies.
:o

Ok, now they're not even pretending to hire 'chefs' for any reason other than eye candy. :D
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 05:12:19 AM
E is one thing, Ё is another, but I looked it up and I guess it actually is Cеменович and not Cемёнович. -_-

Actually, they're pretty much the same letter, with Ё (pronounced "yo" vs. "ye") often just indicating where the stress is.  They're similar enough that in typed Russian, you'll almost never see the umlaut, even if the pronunciation is "yo".  Often makes it a pain for schmucks like me to figure out where the stress is.  :P

Josquius

Instant Yakisoba is the best thing ever. Why oh why do we just get pot noodle rameny stuff in the west.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 19, 2012, 10:25:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 05:12:19 AM

Actually, they're pretty much the same letter, with Ё (pronounced "yo" vs. "ye") often just indicating where the stress is.  They're similar enough that in typed Russian, you'll almost never see the umlaut, even if the pronunciation is "yo".  Often makes it a pain for schmucks like me to figure out where the stress is.  :P

I still say it's totally different.  One's a variant of O, one's a variant of E (from my Western Christian perspective, anyway).
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on February 14, 2012, 01:29:46 AM

Lord have mercy, the motha load. Thems some big boobies.

Holy Moly!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Thick slice of Ham, two eggs over easy, and toast.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 20, 2012, 07:07:43 PM
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Buckeye woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Ohio State and the Sacred Ways of Woody Hayes together, until such time as he  can deliver to Ohio State Football championships, either in this world or in space.

:lol:  How long have you had that signature?

Ed Anger

Quote from: sbr on February 20, 2012, 08:58:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 20, 2012, 07:07:43 PM
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Buckeye woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Ohio State and the Sacred Ways of Woody Hayes together, until such time as he  can deliver to Ohio State Football championships, either in this world or in space.

:lol:  How long have you had that signature?

A few weeks at least.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points