News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Salsa and chips.  It's pretty hot and pretty great.

I usually wouldn't buy such an extravagant product, but my parents made me take home a bunch of tortilla chips from Christmas, but only gave me this insipid, weak-ass salsa.  But this Pace?  You can tell it wasn't made in New York City some Publix in upstate South Carolina.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

:lol:

$4 for just 200 calories. Delicious though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

I had lunch at Chuy's.  Chiles rellenos with shrimp and chicken.  Cal's verdict: Delicious.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Took Princesca to Limestone for her dinner, which is a local place that does fine dining with a Southern flair.  For an appetizer, we had macaroni and cheese with crabmeat, which probably sounds like shit to most of you but tasted really good.  For my main course, I had sole stuffed with crab on a bed of creamed spinach with fire-roasted Brussels sprouts, and she had a pork chop with a cranberry garnish over grits with mixed vegetables.  She had creme brulee for dessert and I had a peach and almond tart with pistachio ice cream.  Drinks were the house chardonnay (which was actually kind of flat) and cappuccino for me and regular coffee for her for dessert.

This restaurant has kind of a mixed reputation around here... it's right by my office and someone commented that it was "horrible" there.  While I don't agree with that, it's definitely not my favorite fine dining establishment in town; we have a place called Z's Oyster Bar and Steakhouse which I like better, as well as the famous Vincenzo's downtown.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I went to some places serving "Americana cuisine" when I was in Sacto and Austin and I think it's all a gigantic scam.  A gigantic poserific scam.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2012, 09:24:59 PM
I went to some places serving "Americana cuisine" when I was in Sacto and Austin and I think it's all a gigantic scam.  A gigantic poserific scam.

It was just McDonald's on a plate, wasn't it?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2012, 09:41:57 PM
It was just McDonald's on a plate, wasn't it?

You go to Grandma's Kountry Kitchen and you get pork chops with smashed taters for 9 bucks.  You go to Chez Hipster and they put the pork chop ON TOP of the smashed taters, drizzle some colored goo on the side of the plate and charge you 19.  If I really want the pork chops on top of the potatoes I can do that myself at Grandma's.

Scipio

My wife made the blandest tofu stir-fry in the history of food.  I buried it in soy sauce, and in fact, COULD NOT TASTE THE SOY SAUCE.  It was sucked up by the bland.

Vegetables were tasty.  But, ugh.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

BuddhaRhubarb

some good beer. (local) Red Racer IPA (Central City Brewing)
:p

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2012, 08:32:05 PM
Took Princesca to Limestone for her dinner, which is a local place that does fine dining with a Southern flair.  For an appetizer, we had macaroni and cheese with crabmeat, which probably sounds like shit to most of you but tasted really good.

My "signature dish" is Alaskan King Crab Macaroni and Cheese.

Seriously - I made it once, made it a second time when my mother in law was here, and she absolutely loves the stuff.  And she is a professional short order cook who owns her own restaurant.

I keep trying to tell her that it is easy to make a dish that tastes delicious when you take ~$50-$80 worth of ingredients into a mac and cheese, but she doesn't believe me.

Of course, Alaskan King Crab is a hell of a lot more expensive when you live in Alberta, not Yukon. :(

Anyways, I bring this up to say I can believe that mac and cheese with crab is pretty damn good stuff.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2012, 02:03:19 AM
My "signature dish" is Alaskan King Crab Macaroni and Cheese.

Seriously - I made it once, made it a second time when my mother in law was here, and she absolutely loves the stuff.  And she is a professional short order cook who owns her own restaurant.

I keep trying to tell her that it is easy to make a dish that tastes delicious when you take ~$50-$80 worth of ingredients into a mac and cheese, but she doesn't believe me.

Of course, Alaskan King Crab is a hell of a lot more expensive when you live in Alberta, not Yukon. :(

Anyways, I bring this up to say I can believe that mac and cheese with crab is pretty damn good stuff.

Mother in law, the professional short order cook who owns her own restaurant loves a dish that costs $50 to $80 worth of ingredients for a mac & cheese!? 

Mother in law sounds like an incredible cynic.  If she is pushing for 30% (which is liberal) food cost in her own establishment she must be losing her mind as she takes every bite of your King Crag Mac & Cheese. Wow!

MadBurgerMaker

Some sort of baked chips and salsa.  :huh:  My wife handed them to me.  It doesn't seem to go well with the tequila, despite the salsa part.

fhdz

Beans, a couple of eggs, wilted spinach, chopped-up tomato. Hot sauce. Coffee.
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

Found some potatoes and onions I'd forgotten about, since I never waste food, I had corned beef hash ! It was actually ok, better than in the photo:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller