Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2020, 02:11:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2020, 02:01:37 PM
I used to eat egg salad on bagels often when I had access to good bagels. :huh:

How do you solve the dense bagel vs loose filling conundrum?

Learn how to eat?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2020, 03:02:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2020, 02:11:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2020, 02:01:37 PM
I used to eat egg salad on bagels often when I had access to good bagels. :huh:

How do you solve the dense bagel vs loose filling conundrum?

Learn how to eat?

Pretty sure I've got that part down pretty well...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

So my wife decided to join that quarantine trend sweeping the nation - baking bread!  She made two loaves yesterday.  Just a simple white bread.  And for my lunch she made me two sandwiches.

:hmm:

Don't get me wrong - the bread tastes good.  But it's rather dense, and I feel quite filled up after one small sandwich.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2020, 01:57:08 PM
So my wife decided to join that quarantine trend sweeping the nation - baking bread!  She made two loaves yesterday.  Just a simple white bread.  And for my lunch she made me two sandwiches.

Don't get me wrong - the bread tastes good.  But it's rather dense, and I feel quite filled up after one small sandwich.

lembas
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

Gotta master that crumb!  Try making the dough the night before and leaving in fridge over night, take out the next day and let it rise back to room temperature and then bake.  When preheating the oven add a small cake pan with water in it, steam will help that even that density out into a fuller rise.

merithyn

Quote from: PRC on April 27, 2020, 02:00:01 PM

Gotta master that crumb!  Try making the dough the night before and leaving in fridge over night, take out the next day and let it rise back to room temperature and then bake.  When preheating the oven add a small cake pan with water in it, steam will help that even that density out into a fuller rise.

Huh. Good to know. Thank you. :)

Do you leave the water in while the bread bakes?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

As for what I'm eating...

Ho Hos. I'm eating Ho Hos.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PRC

Quote from: merithyn on April 27, 2020, 02:23:13 PM
Huh. Good to know. Thank you. :)

Do you leave the water in while the bread bakes?

Leave the water in, yep!

Admiral Yi

Take out Thai. Had the crab curry last night. :mmm:

mongers

Crumpets dripping with butter.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Dominos has been operating in Vienna for a few years now, and today I took the plunge.

I ordered a large pepperoni pizza with double cheese.

Pro:
- they update your order with each step of their process (other services just show three statuses: received order, preparing food, delivery on the way)
- they were here within 25 minutes; other deliveries can take 45-600 minutes, regardless of distance - though there are some services, like poke bowls, or Chinese, that tend to be fast

Con:
- no GPS tracking on map of where the delivery is
- price - the pizza was all right, but at €16 I can get much better from proper ristorantes here in Vienna.

Will probably not order often unless I have a strong craving for an approximation of a US style pepperoni pizza.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Having lived in NYC all my life, it shocks me that Dominos is regarded as the US style pizza.  Then again, I don't know to what extent NYC with its local pizzerias is the exception rather than the rule.  To me, the difference between a big chain pizza and a local pizzeria pizza is like the difference between canned corned beef and medium-rare filet mignon.

Syt

A lot of cheaper pizza places here offer "American" pizza (which just means making the crust double thick). There's a few places here that make proper napoletan pizza and it's just amazing (better to eat at the restaurant, they're best fresh from the hot stone where they bake for like 2 minutes max).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Here Domino's has an excellent standing offer for a $7.99 large three topping if you pick it up yourself.  Their "Brooklyn style" thin crust is quite tasty.