News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Fate Extra Last Encore.  The protagonist wakes up in a virtual world with little memory.  All he knows is that he wants to engage in a battle royale for a Holy Grail that can grant any wish.  With an enigmatic but friendly and powerful female side-kick, he proceeds to win the battles ahead of him and to find answers. 

This is yet another spin-off of the popular Fate series.  The main draw of the show is an alternative version of the ultra-popular heroine, Saber.  The two Sabers share a very similar appearance, this time with a red and more revealing dress.  Whereas the original Saber is reserved and takes her responsibilities seriously, this version is egotistic, with a "if I think I can do that, then I can" attitude. 

That's it.  Other than that, I can't think of much good about this show.  This anime is based on a game, and seems to be aimed at audience who are familiar with the source material.  I am not one of them, and I find this anime almost impossible to understand.  The plot is fragmented and convoluted, the setting is surreal, the dialogue consists of far too much philosophical babbling and concepts that are poorly explained.  When some of the secrets are revealed, my reaction can only be summed up as "huh?"  Granted, that some of the concepts are hard to understand is part and parcel of Fate.  But to burden me with all the crap without delivering on the interesting plot and battles front is a disappointment. 

And yeah, this Saber is also based on a ridiculous historical figure.  This time, I am no longer really shocked given what they did last time.  It is still crazy. 

jimmy olsen

RIP :(

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/04/06/national/oscar-nominated-japan-animation-giant-isao-takahata-dies-82-reports/#.WscIjYjwaUk
QuoteIsao Takahata, the Japanese animated film director who co-founded Studio Ghibli and is known for his award-winning "Grave of the Fireflies," died of lung cancer Thursday at a Tokyo hospital, Studio Ghibli announced Friday. He was 82.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

The guy had standards.  I can randomly pick an image from his movies and it will be poetic and beautiful. 

Josquius

I've been watching Aggretsuko.

Yes, its a sanyo marketing piece.

But it is actually quite funny.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

So of course there's a comedy manga & anime about Jesus and Buddha being roomies in Tokyo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Young_Men

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

It's one of the more popular anime of recent years but don't let that put you off. Watch My Hero Academia. Seriously.

It's not just the Harry Potter rip off it appears on the surface. It is a very very good show.
Its pacing is just spot on; usually in shonen anime the main characters will be told a big event is coming in a few months so they have to train hard, you'll then have a series worth of not very interesting episodes where they're training before the main event starts.

Boku no Hero?

"There'll be a big thing in 4 months."
Black screen.
"4 months passed before we knew it and the day of the big thing arrived"

The animation quality is top drawer movie-level stuff throughout and the battles are simply beautiful.

The first episode's style didn't appeal to me at first so it took me a while to get into it, but a few episodes in and I was hooked. I'm fully up to date with it now. On oh so many levels...it rocks. Anyone remotely interested in superheroes should watch it. The original author was a big fan of western superhero comics and a lot of it leaks through.

Oh. Also I discovered in most countries you can watch it for free, legally, on yahoo. Yeah. I had no idea that was a thing:

https://view.yahoo.com/show/my-hero-academia/episode/60709202/sub-izuku-midoriya-origin

██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I am a huge fan of My Hero Academia as well.  A worthy successor to Naruto.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

The anime of this season that I will watch (July to October).

Attack on Titan.  Season 3 of the international blockbuster.  The story is increasing going in the direction of an ancient conspiracy.

Overlord.  Also Season 3.  Another stuck in a game world show, from an evil lord's perspective. 

Gintama. A sometimes goofy parody, sometimes serious samurai show.  This is the continuation of the final story arc of the long-running show of over 300 episodes.

Josquius

God damn it anime. They really hate suspense.
I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen episode titles clearly flashed across the start of shows that make very clear what is going to happen.
Stuff like "By surprise the underdog wins "... Well its not a surprise now you told me before I watch it!
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2018, 05:19:18 PM
God damn it anime. They really hate suspense.
I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen episode titles clearly flashed across the start of shows that make very clear what is going to happen.
Stuff like "By surprise the underdog wins "... Well its not a surprise now you told me before I watch it!

It isn't just the title.  Sometimes the opening song sequence spoils things. 

Monoriu

https://kotaku.com/the-next-evangelion-movie-will-be-out-2020-1827741974

The next (and final, at least that's what they say) Evangelion movie will be out in 2020. 

https://kotaku.com/the-next-evangelion-movie-will-be-out-2020-1827741974

They have delayed this for like nine years, and during the delay the director was busying doing godzilla movies :mad:

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Josquius

So.
Attack on Titan series 3.

1: Worst opening song ever. So inappropriate.
2: No titans. Its...weird. Like a completely different anime.
     I can imagine many people are screaming bloody murder about this. Like Haruhi Suzumiya series 2.
    And yeah, I did love series 1. I'd love for more of the same.
    But....it does make sense that the plot is going this way. That the events of S1 would massively shake the foundations of their society rather than everything just going on as normal but with a new super weapon. Its not often you see such realism.
██████
██████
██████