News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 22, 2018, 07:37:12 PM
Mono, have you watched Irresponsible Captain Tylor? It's a 90s classic.

I recently read the manga Goblin Slayer, and the GS: Year One spin off manga. Holy shit is this dark.

Basically set in a high fantasy world, the state and most high level adventures are dealing with demon lords, dragons, etc. They don't have to time to bother with small time shit like Goblins; it's dirty, dangerous work that doesn't pay much. They have bigger fish to fry.

The problem is that once Goblins get numerous enough, they ain't just stealing livestock. They kidnap women, and can escalate to sacking and razing whole towns on the frontier. The man are torn apart and eaten, the women gang raped (to death if they're lucky, if not they're used as breeding stock to pop out litters of new goblins. Don't think the logistics of it all really makes sense). They can be easily defeated if an armed force catches them on open ground, but going after them in the deep forest, or worse in their underground lairs is much, much more dangerous and they can wipe out even experienced veterans.

Enter the Goblin Slayer, as a child he was the lone survivor of a village massacre and is now a high ranked adventurer on a monomaniacal and hopelessly impossible quest to genocide all goblins forever. 

Based on a series of best selling light novels, where the novels are coldly detached and Goblin atrocities are mostly just heavily implied, the manga on the other hand is a visual medium and shows things in pretty graphic detail.

Yeah I watched Irresponsible Captain Tylor when I was in university.  Pretty good anime.  I love the ambiguity of whether Tylor was incredibly lucky, or extremely talented.  Not the most family friendly anime though, given that its main message was "do whatever you want to do and it will work out best in the end."  It was definitely a breath of fresh air; something entirely different from other anime. 

Never heard of Goblin Slayer.  I am anime-only, and this hasn't been adapted into anime format. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on January 22, 2018, 10:53:30 PM
Never heard of Goblin Slayer.  I am anime-only, and this hasn't been adapted into anime format.

I will be surprised if it doesn't get an adapation soon. The Light Novel burst onto the scene in 2016 and best sellers like that typically get an adaption.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 23, 2018, 12:50:46 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 22, 2018, 10:53:30 PM

I will be surprised if it doesn't get an adapation soon. The Light Novel burst onto the scene in 2016 and best sellers like that typically get an adaption.

Light Novel Sales by Series
*1. *,707,300 Sword Art Online
*2. *,578,811 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
*3. *,540,806 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
*4. *,412,086 Kimi no Na wa.
*5. *,344,286 Youjo Senki
*6. *,299,957 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
*7. *,275,579 Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
*8. *,239,132 Eromanga-sensei
*9. *,231,214 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
10. *,168,725 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Spin-off

11. *,155,631 Overlord
12. *,155,625 Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
13. *,151,679 Monogatari Series
14. *,140,639 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu Series
15. *,137,160 No Game No Life
16. *,123,136 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria
17. *,117,210 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka
18. *,108,564 Goblin Slayer
19. *,104,018 Hidan no Aria
20. *,*96,624 Fate/strange Fake

21. *,*96,200 Bungou Stray Dogs
22. *,*94,469 No Game No Life: Practical War Game
23. *,*93,118 Accel World
24. *,*88,653 Haikyuu!! Shousetsu-ban!!
25. *,*87,316 Imouto sae Ireba Ii.
26. *,*85,505 Gamers!
27. *,*84,372 Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
28. *,*80,553 Tokyo Ghoul:re
29. *,*79,133 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index
30. *,*76,801 Ryuuou no Oshigoto!

This is sales data for first half of 2017.  Goblin slayer is 18th.  That's not too high, but I do agree that most series on this list have anime adaptations. 

Monoriu

Rokka no Yuusha, or Braves of the Six Flowers.  A sealed evil lord awakes every few centuries in this sword and magic world.  Six chosen heroes are supposed to defeat and reseal the evil before it ravages the continent.  Trouble is, at the gathering spot, there are seven people with the body mark.  One of them is a mole, and he has activated a barrier prematurely that kept the evil armies from getting out, but also prevented the heroes from proceeding further. 

At its heart, this is a crime scene investigations story with a fantasy backdrop.  The entire story revolves around solving the mystery rather than dealing with the outside threat.  The story focuses on the heroes assigning blame to different suspects, and the heroes changing sides as new evidence emerges.  The story is intriguing and well-written.  The "must watch next episode NOW" vibe is strong in this one and I marathoned the 12 episodes in no time.  The characters are very well done.  All seven of them have deep backstories, memorable personalities and it is quite common to see them in cosplayer conventions.  The production values are high, with impressive and fluid fight scenes.  Due to the mystery nature of the show, it is best to avoid any spoilers. 

Monoriu

Aria.   Many centuries into the future, humanity has colonised and terraformed Mars into a water world.  Neo Venezia has been built as a replica of Venice.  Tourists flock to this city for the gondola rides, and in this world, they are all operated by young, pretty females.  The story focus on three apprentices in this trade, and their respective masters. 

The key theme of this show is relaxation.  There is no action, no fights, no big drama.  Any conflict is limited to infrequent and minor personality clashes among the cast.  Otherwise, it is all about friendly bantering, city adventures, slice of life, helping each other out, meeting new people, cute cats that seem to understand human language, with a small dose of the supernatural.  Every character is kind to a fault.  The pace is very slow, and the characters all find joy in the small, everyday happenings.  Each of the gondola companies keep a blue-eyed cat as the company "president", since they believe these cats bring good luck.  They really address the cats as "president [cat name]" each and every time.  They are just that adorable.

I have been to Venice, and except for that fact that all the gondoliers I saw there were males, the anime very faithfully depicts the city.  Venice is beautifully recreated.  The animation isn't state of the art, but the visuals, music and voice acting all come together to serve their purpose to maintain the relaxed, peaceful and dreamy atmosphere.

This clearly isn't for everybody.  Look elsewhere if you want complex plots, action, and fast-paced drama.  This is for those who want peace and relaxation, and they'll find it. 

Thanks to Lettow who recommended this show.   

Monoriu

Samurai Champloo.  A ditzy teenage waitress saved two nigh invincible samurai from certain death toward the end of Edo period Japan.  The two accompanied her on a journey to find a "samurai with the scent of sunflower".  The story is about their misadventures that can range from defending themselves from the Shogun's assassins, trying to win an eating contest, to playing samurai baseball with American sailors (I didn't make this up). 

This is the spiritual successor to Cowboy Bebop, done by the same director, with a similar setup and storytelling style.  It is basically episodic, with the sunflower samurai plotline mostly an excuse for the three to get together.  Like Cowboy Bebop, this is undoubtedly a masterpiece.  The best episodes are a joy to watch and they stay in my memory.  The triangle of the three misfits works really well.  It is great fun, with its impressive swordplay animations, anachronistic goodness, and crazy humour.

The show often feels like a deliberate crossover between modern elements and the samurai world.  It is anything but a traditional samurai story about fighting evil and preserving honour.  Instead, there is rapping in the music, stories that feature drugs, bug tournaments, and graffiti duels.  The animation is really well done, with very impressive sword moves being animated. 

Overall I can't find fault with this, and I think this should have a place with the anime classics.

jimmy olsen

Glad you finally got around to watching it. It is indeed a classic. :)

By the way, Goblin Slayer is getting an anime adaption! :punk:
Hope they don't tone the old ultraviolence too much.

http://moetron.news/post/171005915670/light-novel-goblin-slayer-will-be-receiving-a-tv/amp?__twitter_impression=true
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2016, 08:03:37 PM
Never heard of it.  Western shows like RWBY at least appears in my radar, as Tim has talked about it and it is quite popular in Japan.  This is the first time I have heard of Gravity Falls. 

What makes you think it is good?   :)

It has just been brought to my attention that RWBY is made in Austin and in a building I pass on my commute everyday to work. If you ever got around to stealing it I hope you enjoyed it :P

The creator seems to be quite a creative dude who died a tragic early death. Austin lost a gem, long before I even knew he existed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2018, 11:41:37 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2016, 08:03:37 PM
Never heard of it.  Western shows like RWBY at least appears in my radar, as Tim has talked about it and it is quite popular in Japan.  This is the first time I have heard of Gravity Falls. 

What makes you think it is good?   :)

It has just been brought to my attention that RWBY is made in Austin and in a building I pass on my commute everyday to work. If you ever got around to stealing it I hope you enjoyed it :P

The creator seems to be quite a creative dude who died a tragic early death. Austin lost a gem, long before I even knew he existed.

My plan to watch anime list has several hundred shows in it, so it is unlikely that I have time for RWBY any time soon.  But it is in my list. 

I have a feeling, which is completely unscientific, that anime creators seem to have a lower average life expectancy than the population. 

Josquius

Seems scientific enough to me. They work highly stressful office jobs with lengthy overtime.
Not all of the general population does the same.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on February 23, 2018, 12:04:33 AM

I have a feeling, which is completely unscientific, that anime creators seem to have a lower average life expectancy than the population. 

Those artsy types always do. Though this guy died in a freak medical situation where he suffered a fatal allergic reaction to some routine procedure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2018, 09:01:45 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 23, 2018, 12:04:33 AM

Those artsy types always do. Though this guy died in a freak medical situation where he suffered a fatal allergic reaction to some routine procedure.
He was alergic to the anesthesia.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Monoriu

The Spring anime season (April – June) will come soon, and these are the animes that I intend to watch.  Looks like a busy season with lots of big name sequels, remakes or spin-offs that I consider must watch.

Legend of Galactic Heroes.  This is (or should be, as not much is known at this point) a remake of the 90s classic space opera.  In the distant future, an autocratic galactic empire united the galaxy.  A band of rebels slipped away and set up a democratic nation in an unknown corner of the galaxy.  After many decades, the two sides discovered each other and engaged in a forever war.  A military genius emerged from each side to break the stalemate and to change their respective corrupt countries. 

Tokyo Ghoul Season 3.  This horror and adventure show takes place in a Tokyo where ghouls have appeared in large scale.  While they live among humans, they can only drink coffee and consume human flesh.  The story is essentially a three-way war among the government, ghouls who have no problem killing humans, and ghouls who are more restrained. 

Steins Gate Zero. The original Steins Gate was about a few otakus who liked to role play as mad scientists.  They accidentally discovered real ways to send messages to the past (via microwave ovens) to alter their present and future.  There was a huge conspiracy, multiple efforts to time-travel, going to the past to save loved ones etc.  Steins Gate Zero is a "midquel" or a what-if scenario about an alternative story-line where the protagonist abandoned his quest to travel back to the past to save his romantic interest. 

Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online. "Sword Art Online" is the overall series title of an international blockbuster about players of an online game trapped in a game world.  "Gun Gale Online" is the third game or story arc of the series.  "Alternative" is because this is based on a spin-off novel.  Same game world, different protagonists.  Apparently, the story is about a very tall teenage girl who has severe image issues due to her unusual height.  She plays the Gun Gale Online game to fulfill her fantasy of being a petite, cute girl. 

My Hero Academia Season 3. The story continues in the best shonen adventure series to come out of Japan in recent years.  In this comic book world, most people have some sort of superpower.  The protagonist is born without any, and he is determined to become a hero to battle villains. 

Full Metal Panic Season 4. Mithril is a secret military organisation with highly advanced technology and giant mechas.  They sent one of their mecha pilots to bodyguard a teenage girl with lost technologies somehow buried in her brain.  The problem is, the pilot used to be a child soldier with no social skills.  Hilarity ensues as he interprets everyday school happenings with his military frame of mind.  Season 3 was aired like 10 years ago and it is a miracle that a season 4 is produced.  Expect plenty of nostalgia.   

Monoriu

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody.  Satou is a game programmer who often has to work crazy hours.  One day he wakes up in a fantasy game world, and he began his adventure. 

This is yet another stuck in a game world, or isekai (alien world) anime.  This is easily the weakest isekai show that I have watched.  The main reason is that it attempts to fuse slice of life with isekai.  The whole reason they put "death march" in the title is that the protagonist deserves a break.  So instead of saving the world and fighting enemies, there will be a detailed discussion and close-up shot of food almost every episode, a huge harem will pop up out of nowhere, and he'll be ridiculously overpowered. 

The show made of point of giving him 3 meteor shower spells at the beginning.  He killed hundreds of high level monsters with them, and gained so many levels and talent points that he could max any and all skills that he wants whenever he wants them.  He is invincible, good at everything, all girls want him, there is no challenge, and no main plot.  Lots of protagonists are overpowered, but most authors bother to provide a better explanation than "he began his game with an all powerful spell and killed countless monsters with it". 

It doesn't take itself seriously.  It is more like, since you can play god, let's relax, have some comfort good, enjoy the harem, play hero every once in a while, and all troubles can be conveniently solved by maxing the appropriate skill any time you want.  This may be somebody else's cup of tea, but certainly isn't mine.