News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Let's talk about all things anime here.  As a fellow anime lover, I humbly request that, in cases where we need to mention spoilers, we give adequate spoiler warning. 

I'll start the discussion with a brief introduction to Attack on Titan, as it seems not mentioned here very often.

Probably the most talked-about anime show in 2013 that sparked another wave of interest from around the world.  Made it to the mainstream media, at least in Hong Kong.  During its TV run, I see "Attack on ..." everywhere.  Serious, mature, hard-hitting and anyone can die action show that is completely different from typical shonen fair.  Humans with Napoleonic level technology face off innumerable human-eating giants who have conquered the world except the last human stronghold.  The giants are not interested in communication or diplomacy.  The only way to kill a giant is to cut off a large chunk of meat from its neck at the back.  For decades, humanity think they can hide forever behind the huge walls.  The story begins when a never-before seen super giant knocks down a part of the outermost wall. 

Admiral Yi

I've noticed that many animators appear to be threatened by the female nose.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2014, 08:45:03 PM
I've noticed that many animators appear to be threatened by the female nose.

That's true, but there are exceptions.  See Nico Robin of One Piece and everybody in Vision of Escaflowne.  Giving them noses make for a more European and mature look.  I guess they want to keep the females cute.

Nico Robin of One Piece

Hitomi of Escaflowne

garbon

I'd have given 50/50 odds on the gender of that first "woman".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 10:02:29 PM

To remove all doubt :contract:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2014, 10:09:20 PM
Isn't Nico a man's name?

In the One Piece universe, last names go first, first names go last.  So Nico is her family name.  Her given name is Robin. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on February 25, 2014, 10:07:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 10:02:29 PM

To remove all doubt :contract:

So a man who transitioned?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Kleves

Attack on Titan is on Netflix streaming. I've found it to be enjoyable nightmare-fuel so far. :thumbsup:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 10:26:40 PM

Or possibly a human-giraffe hybrid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 26, 2014, 12:34:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 10:26:40 PM

Or possibly a human-giraffe hybrid.

You have no idea what a human-giraffe hybrid means in the One Piece universe  :lol:  It is a spoiler, so I'll avoid posting it.  But you can look it up, there really is one in One Piece. 

Grinning_Colossus

People in the Titan universe need to build steam mechas that can punch the giants to death.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Monoriu

This is a more traditional anime moe girl design, with huge eyes, tiny noses and mouths.  They are high school students but look a lot younger than they should be. 

The anime is called Clannad, adaptation of a visual novel by Key Visual Arts.  That company is famous/notorious for making content specifically designed to make people cry.  They are singlehandedly responsible for increasing tissue consumption around the world by some percentage points.  Clannad is probably their most successful attempt.  It may look like a harem series with a single male lead helping a whole bunch of cute girls with their problems, and a lot of these girls fall for him.  But underneath the harem facade, there is a very emotional story with no fanservice.  I honestly had trouble sleeping after seeing the offending episodes.  Frequently voted as the anime with the saddest scenes ever. 

Josquius

After seeing it mentioned in the other thread I've half arsedly started watching nobunas ambition.
Tis odd. Like a mash up of a high school harem comedy with a tsunsere primary and the standard sengoku story. They make a lot of mention of the nobunagas ambition game. Is there a link between the developers of the two? Seems odd they could do this otherwise 
██████
██████
██████