News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've pretty much learned how to play the game.  It's fun, better than the previous incarnations.  Only beef so far is that that drawing front lines and offensive lines can be wonky.

I played as Germany, and decided to conquer Poland before Czechoslovakia.  Japan got in a war with both the Allies and the Comintern and joined a faction led by Italy.  As the Russians were fighting in Manchuria, I took advantage and conquered the Soviet Union in a year and a half.  The Comintern (which included most of the Chinese Cliques, was divided up between Germany and Japan.  In 41 I invaded France and the low countries (while most of their armies were fighting in China.  Britain and France united as one power.  I was playing with a Mod, some sort of Hearts of Iron improvement thing, but it's not very impressive.  I don't know if that's the reason the AI is so dumb or it is dumb by default.  For instance, the AI never recruits individuals to improve their Political power points, so they have few of the important bonuses you get from advisors or companies. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

yeah the offensive lines gets very confusing, very quickly, especially with a big front like Russia. After a while, it's just arrows all over the place. I was playing as Russia recently and many of my units were getting encircled, a long way from where I drew the lines, so I'm not sure what they were doing there in the first place.

Russia in this game is no match for Germany I find. I played it twice, once historical and once non-historical, and each time Germany captured Moscow within 6-8 months of launching Barbarossa.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Phillip V

Any good mods fix the game's above issues?

frunk

There are some AI mods that do a pretty good job of improving the intelligence of the opposition.  There are also Multiplayer and single player mods that are designed around making things competitive by giving the AI bonuses and structuring division and build design.

Razgovory

I'm running into a game breaking feature.  It can get awfully dull.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lettow77

I disagree. When games like Daiteikoku have already done the legwork for you, and there is existing fan-art versions for almost all of these personages, it feels inexcusable to use only tangentially related characters as stand-ins. Satsuki as the leader of Japan might be the most grevious, but what they did with the soviets is pretty bad as well.

Phoenix Wright as Patton? For that matter, leaving men in at all is distasteful and undermines the purity of the work. This lacks dedication and reeks of having been done by pig disgusting foreigners.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 25, 2017, 10:27:02 AM
For that matter, leaving men in at all is distasteful and undermines the purity of the work. This lacks dedication and reeks of having been done by pig disgusting foreigners.
Trying to wash men out of history and out of the medium is a mistake.  The obsession with moe has to stop.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 25, 2017, 10:27:02 AM
I disagree. When games like Daiteikoku have already done the legwork for you, and there is existing fan-art versions for almost all of these personages, it feels inexcusable to use only tangentially related characters as stand-ins. Satsuki as the leader of Japan might be the most grevious, but what they did with the soviets is pretty bad as well.

Phoenix Wright as Patton? For that matter, leaving men in at all is distasteful and undermines the purity of the work. This lacks dedication and reeks of having been done by pig disgusting foreigners.

Well I certainly bow to your superior knowledge in the field. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2017, 07:55:10 AM
Hearts of Anime mod.  :lol:  :bleeding:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=797734694&searchtext=

Sometimes I get sad thinking about the nuclear war that Trump will start.  Then I see things like that and realize it would probably be for the better.

Ed Anger

Guderian in a SS uniform? OUTRAGOUS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I think the most recent patch screwed up the game.  In the last two games, China drove the Japanese off the mainland and in my last one Poland went to war with Latvia, captured Berlin and up ruling most of Hungary and Czechoslovakia.

frunk

Latest patch (without DLC) seems decent.  Air is actually manageable now, and the AI is, although not smart, significantly less dumb.

DGuller

Less dumb in some place, much more dumb in others.  If you want to win the war now, just stand pat and let AI suicide into you.  It doesn't seem to be deterred by running out of men and materiel, or total lack of progress.