Main Menu

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by Syt, December 19, 2013, 10:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 22, 2018, 08:02:12 PM
The thing is, we already have about 103853984675839 stories where women are treated as lesser beings. I don't see why we need another one.

Well I disagree that every story must be about a perfect utopia. That sounds pretty boring. Nor do I think erasing women from history and stories that take place in history is super awesome. You clearly disagree. But I will never agree with such an absurdity.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

:hmm:

After wandering around for a while, I started the main quest.  At one point they gave me a free horse, but I already own one (Rocinante  :)).  How do you switch back and forth between horses? 

I had to ride Pebbles to the place for the quest, but when I whistled, Rocinante came running up to me, so that doesn't seem to change the default.  Are they kept at the stables and you switch them up there or what?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2018, 10:12:10 PM
The thing is, we already have about 103853984675839 stories where women are treated as lesser beings. I don't see why we need another one.

Well I disagree that every story must be about a perfect utopia. That sounds pretty boring. Nor do I think erasing women from history and stories that take place in history is super awesome. You clearly disagree. But I will never agree with such an absurdity.

Glad to see you'll trot out arguments to swat down that no one is making in defense of a game you haven't played.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2018, 12:57:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2018, 10:12:10 PM

Glad to see you'll trot out arguments to swat down that no one is making in defense of a game you haven't played.

Yeah, nice strawman there from Valmy. :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 23, 2018, 04:35:06 AM
Yeah, nice strawman there from Valmy. :rolleyes:

Not a strawman. You said a game that explores the Middle Ages means women are lesser beings. That is absurd. If you did not mean that feel free to actually explain your points rather than just tossing around garbage political rhetoric that serves more to obscure than explain.

I see no basis to interpret your statement as anything but that :hmm:

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2018, 12:57:39 AM

I am not defending the game at all, Just the concept of it. Solmyr has not played it either, he is only attacking the concept. The game might suck. But I appreciate the idea of it, having a historically accurate RPG, even if it fails. I have only ever asked that you keep an open mind about it rather than being distracted by this internet hype.

I also fail to see how that argument was not made.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Anyway this was a pretty good first impression from Metatron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhfPsSx6DBU

Seems like it is probably a good thing it will be a few months before I could play it. It is 36 minutes long so TL:DW is that the physical locations are amazingly done (and the historian who assisted them had her specialty in primarily this area) but there are some inaccuracies with regard to clothing and how some of the characters act (in his opinion anyway). Several of the systems do not seem to work very well, the horse (though I was glad you can at least fight on it even if not really functionally) and the usual stuff with the save game thing and the bugs.

I did like seeing that Cuman horse archer using his compound bow. That was sweet.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2018, 01:03:16 AM
Not a strawman. You said a game that explores the Middle Ages means women are lesser beings. That is absurd. If you did not mean that feel free to actually explain your points rather than just tossing around garbage political rhetoric that serves more to obscure than explain.

I'll leave that to Sol but will say that try as I could I can't find a post from Sol that notes what you've said above.

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2018, 01:03:16 AMI am not defending the game at all, Just the concept of it. Solmyr has not played it either, he is only attacking the concept. The game might suck. But I appreciate the idea of it, having a historically accurate RPG, even if it fails. I have only ever asked that you keep an open mind about it rather than being distracted by this internet hype.

I also fail to see how that argument was not made.

I feel like you have taken the wrong lesson from the era of fake news. As always, we are supposed to view information presented with a critical lens rather than simply be passive recipients. That doesn't mean that we ignore what reviews* tell us or things that the designer says himself. 

I don't see anyone saying you can't like the game concept or even the game himself. I do so people saying why they take issue with the game concept as it appears to have been executed.

*although I guess you are selective on that front as I see you've now linked to a video review that you like that has praise for it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

So what is the original criticism of the game's content here anyways? Or is it just about the main dev being a sexist ahole?

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2018, 04:37:29 AM
Or is it just about the main dev being a sexist ahole?

What did he say that was sexist?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

MadBurgerMaker

Meh, seems mostly fine for me, as far as open world games go.  I don't think I've had all that many crashes, actually, let alone game breaking bugs. 

The "realism" arguments are dumb though imo.  OMG YOU HAVE TO EAT AND SLEEP AND WASH YOURSELF.  I just barge in to peoples houses to eat their stew most of the time, completely sterilize my clothes using troughs (to be fair, I've modded this and cleanliness in general so that Henry stops being that dirty kid from Charlie Brown, because in the original game he apparently rolls everywhere instead of walking), and sleep in whatever bed I want.  You can also make and drink potions that do things like increase your armor or bow skills or make you stealthy.  Yep.  Just like real life.  :rolleyes: 

It's fun though.  I've already got a number of mods running on it, the most important for me being the save game thing and the improved targeting.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 28, 2018, 01:49:45 PM
It's fun though.  I've already got a number of mods running on it, the most important for me being the save game thing and the improved targeting.

Does it make fighting on horseback and using bows possible?

The eating and sleeping stuff seems like it would give the game a survival game element rather than be hyper-realistic. I mean unless you need a few weeks to convalesce after a major injury.

MadBurgerMaker

Fighting from horseback is weird.  There's only, at least from what I've seen, kind of a backward slash and the ability to use the bow from your horse.  I don't tend to partake unless I'm running down some peasant or another.  Mount & Blade is better for this.

I should add the bow reticle to my list of mods that are indispensable. 

For injuries, you can get fucked up in a fight and recover by sleeping.  It isn't realistic.  While you're fighting though it can be pretty intense.  When you take a hit it knocks down your stamina and health, so you have a harder time both fighting and running.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 28, 2018, 10:30:10 PM
Mount & Blade is better for this.

A game from 2008 is still state of the art. That's progress for you.