News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by Syt, December 19, 2013, 10:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/19/kingdom-come-promises-a-different-kind-of-rpg/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPyK1fI6Dw

QuoteA hyper-detailed historical RPG from the main folks behind Mafia? Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Ahem. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a nonlinear role-player set in the dying days of the Holy Roman Empire, and it features precisely zero monsters, magic, or mythical overtones. Instead, the focus is on accuracy, and who better to head up that effort than the former director of Mafia and Mafia II? Developer Warhorse is made up of vets from 2K Czech and Arma powerhouse Bohemia, so expect obsessive attention to detail. Sadly (and somewhat paradoxically) insubstantial teaser trailer below.

Despite a relative lack of information, there's incredible promise here. The pedigree alone takes me back to my days of languidly drifting down Mafia II's snow-speckled highways, breathing in the smoggy, foggy life of the setting (this despite the fact that the game itself was only sort of decent), and the prospect of a non-fantasy open-world medieval RPG has me chomping at the bit.

Kotaku thrust its noble hands into the murky depths of game development, and it emerged with a bit more info. Here are the key takeaways:

Quote"As players traverse expansive, strikingly detailed locales, they'll grapple with a range of period- accurate fighting techniques, horseback combat, open-field sieges, and large-scale battles, all while developing relationships and a reputation that will inform the greater story. Kingdom Come: Deliverance promises no magic, high fantasy or mythical overtones – it draws its inspiration instead from historically authentic characters, themes, and warfare."

Combat, meanwhile, will apparently be first-person and "revolutionary" in some form or fashion. Maybe your knight will have three arms instead of two. Or perhaps he'll be some kind of million-perspective-endowed fly mutant. The possibilities are endless.

Kingdom Come is set to (kingdom) come out in 2015, which is painfully long from now. The game's been in development for a year-and-a-half, so there's a decent amount of meat on its bones already. But then, this is clearly an undertaking of colossal ambition, so Warhorse can take all the time it needs. They have my permission, which is clearly something they would care about for some reason.

http://kingdomcomerpg.com/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I'm not really into Napoleonics. Meh.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on December 19, 2013, 12:34:39 PM

The Holy Roman Empire was dying from 1250-1806.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 11:57:27 AM
This sounds Darklands inspired.

With its combat focus I was more thinking Mount & Blade's 1257 mod.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

This is CK's impact on me: when I see the banners in the intro I immediately go: hey look the coat of arms of Silesia.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 01:10:06 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 19, 2013, 12:34:39 PM

The Holy Roman Empire was dying from 1250-1806.
A "hyper-detailed historical RPG" that covers 556 years of immense change is going to suck.  They'd do better to just cover the decline of the Carolingian prequel to the Empire proper.  They could do Vikings, Magyars, Saracens, plus the first of the knights.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

They're speaking of the team behind Mafia as if that is a plus point?
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2013, 10:43:22 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/19/kingdom-come-promises-a-different-kind-of-rpg/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPyK1fI6Dw

QuoteA hyper-detailed historical RPG from the main folks behind Mafia? Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Ahem. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a nonlinear role-player set in the dying days of the Holy Roman Empire, and it features precisely zero monsters, magic, or mythical overtones. Instead, the focus is on accuracy, and who better to head up that effort than the former director of Mafia and Mafia II? Developer Warhorse is made up of vets from 2K Czech and Arma powerhouse Bohemia, so expect obsessive attention to detail. Sadly (and somewhat paradoxically) insubstantial teaser trailer below.

Despite a relative lack of information, there's incredible promise here. The pedigree alone takes me back to my days of languidly drifting down Mafia II's snow-speckled highways, breathing in the smoggy, foggy life of the setting (this despite the fact that the game itself was only sort of decent), and the prospect of a non-fantasy open-world medieval RPG has me chomping at the bit.

Kotaku thrust its noble hands into the murky depths of game development, and it emerged with a bit more info. Here are the key takeaways:

Quote"As players traverse expansive, strikingly detailed locales, they'll grapple with a range of period- accurate fighting techniques, horseback combat, open-field sieges, and large-scale battles, all while developing relationships and a reputation that will inform the greater story. Kingdom Come: Deliverance promises no magic, high fantasy or mythical overtones – it draws its inspiration instead from historically authentic characters, themes, and warfare."

Combat, meanwhile, will apparently be first-person and "revolutionary" in some form or fashion. Maybe your knight will have three arms instead of two. Or perhaps he'll be some kind of million-perspective-endowed fly mutant. The possibilities are endless.

Kingdom Come is set to (kingdom) come out in 2015, which is painfully long from now. The game's been in development for a year-and-a-half, so there's a decent amount of meat on its bones already. But then, this is clearly an undertaking of colossal ambition, so Warhorse can take all the time it needs. They have my permission, which is clearly something they would care about for some reason.

http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

Ambitious.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on December 19, 2013, 11:19:46 PM
They're speaking of the team behind Mafia as if that is a plus point?

Yeah that is confusing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

Oh well for a moment I thought Syt was back  :(

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: