Star citizen

Started by Alcibiades, November 26, 2013, 02:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2017, 05:10:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2017, 04:56:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2017, 02:38:11 PM
I don't get it. The game has not even been released yet. What if it is good? Granted I don't know how much money you sank into it.

Even science projects might take a few years to complete CC :P

But at least with science, I am happy to pay for the process.  And if the game is good  I will purchase it.  If it is never released, I will have saved that money.  I didn't put any money into it.  It seemed pretty obvious it was going this way from the start.

Going which way?

Years of production without a game actually being produced.  This is not his first time trying to create the game of his dreams and not quite making it.

Syt

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-new-mine-laying-star-citizen-spaceship-costs-dollar675-and-you-cant-have-it/

QuoteStar Citizen developer Roberts Space Industries has a new exclusive ship out for select backers. It lays mines and has a serial number and it costs $675.

It's called the Aegis Nautilus Solstice Limited Edition, and the most distinguishing feature of this ship (other than its sleek black-and-gold trimmed hull) is that you're not allowed to have it. It was made available exclusively to attendees of a special VIP dinner event RSI held in Frankfort Saturday.

Tickets to that event, according to this Resetera thread, cost $274.73, and the thing about the tickets was that you probably weren't allowed to have those, either. The event was restricted to Star Citizen backers at the Concierge level, which means players who have spent a minimum of $1,000 on the game.

The ship isn't in the game yet. Which is just as well, because—as Resetera commenters have pointed out—mines and minelaying have yet to be added to Star Citizen. Also it takes more than one person to crew, and multicrew ship mechanics aren't in the game yet.

They're really just taking the piss now. :lol:

(Current funding for the game according to Wiki is at about $250 million, with $200 million from backers, and $46 million form private investors)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

This game is getting too big to fail.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

It is amazing that people still pay for the dream of this game becoming reality one day.

Valmy

Well parts of it have been released. If I was a backer I would probably figure my $15 or whatever was reasonably redeemed. I just cannot imagine continuing to pump money into it at this point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I have do doubt that some kind of game will be released.  And if people wanted to pay $15, or $50, then go for it.

I just can't fathom sinking those quantities into a game which has no guarantee it will be any good or not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands.
[/size]
[/size]
PDH!

Legbiter

We'll be flying these ships in real life when the game actually does come out.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2013, 03:03:34 PMStar Citizen has raised enough money, and Chris Roberts is a reputable enough name, that I'm sure they'll get a game out.

What can I say - when I'm wrong, I'm really wrong.

Habbaku

Gonna have to check in with my friend who sunk maybe $1500 into this...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2017, 02:17:54 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on May 21, 2017, 10:47:34 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2017, 06:58:00 AMSO I've been poking around at this - anyone else cautiously excited?

I bought a founders pack back in 2013.... I'll be a bit more excited about it in 2020.   :P

This game, I mean the promise of a game, is the main reason I don't even look at crowd funding entertainment projects anymore.  On the bright side, I started looking at crowd funding science projects  :)

BB you were right about the Jets, and I was right about this.  So I guess we can call it even.

Darth Wagtaros

We are all friends again.
PDH!

Alcibiades

Looks like the game is actually getting closer to release for better or worse.  The persistent universe is actually pretty neat and you can play it now if you've bought any of the founding editions or what ever in the past.  Some friends play it a lot and I've logged in with them a good amount. Looks amazing, plays well... just needs some more game loops for the MMO portion, need a reason to log in other than just make money and get bigger ship. But development pace seems to be increasing faster with the single player campaign completed.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain