And we're back!

Main Menu

Star citizen

Started by Alcibiades, November 26, 2013, 02:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

Space game/multiplayer...thing.

Most funded project in crowdfunding history, just passed $31 million.

Anyone been following this?  A lot of people I know have been blowing their load over this game.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Syt

I was interested until they revealed multiplayer part.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Definitely been following it, but as per personal policy, I'll buy a more-or-less functioning copy, and not participate in crowd-sourcing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2013, 02:09:18 PM
Definitely been following it, but as per personal policy, I'll buy a more-or-less functioning copy, and not participate in crowd-sourcing.

I will buy some GreenLight games on Steam (I bought KSP this way) since you get a large discount off final sale price. I paid for Minecraft in beta as well.

I'll only go that route when I feel it's a game that is definitely going to make it to the finish line, and I am paying a substantial discount to future sales price for a mostly finished game. The crowdfunding is a bit different for me because I feel like there's a legitimate risk the game never gets finished at all. KSP / Minecraft even if they never (in KSP's case) or had never (Minecraft) made it to release the early versions I did pay for were fun enough to justify paying $13 or so that I paid for each of them. Throwing $50 or whatever into a crowdfunded game might never result in anything.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 26, 2013, 02:58:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2013, 02:09:18 PM

I will buy some GreenLight games on Steam (I bought KSP this way) since you get a large discount off final sale price. I paid for Minecraft in beta as well.

I'll only go that route when I feel it's a game that is definitely going to make it to the finish line, and I am paying a substantial discount to future sales price for a mostly finished game. The crowdfunding is a bit different for me because I feel like there's a legitimate risk the game never gets finished at all. KSP / Minecraft even if they never (in KSP's case) or had never (Minecraft) made it to release the early versions I did pay for were fun enough to justify paying $13 or so that I paid for each of them. Throwing $50 or whatever into a crowdfunded game might never result in anything.

Star Citizen has raised enough money, and Chris Roberts is a reputable enough name, that I'm sure they'll get a game out.

But it does worry me that they may have succumbed to "feature creep" as the money kept rolling in.  So I am worried that they'll never get a game out there that is finished, playable, and fun.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

I just don't care about any of this until there is something I can play.

I decided long ago that there was only minimal enjoyment from the anticipation, so mostly I just try to ignore anything that isn't on the very near horizon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Crazy_Ivan80

been following it since nearly the beginning. The privateer/freelancer part is interesting in its own right but I mainly care for the Squadron 42 single player part of the project.

The hangar par of the mega-super-duper-early-alpha has been live for a good few months now (and already looks pretty damn nice). Buggy as hell, as can be expected from early alpha stuff.
According to their release timeline the dogfighting alpha should come online around year's end. We'll see.

The money donated sure has been immense. Far above the 20 million or so Roberts said he'd need to make this thing (when he still was going with outside investors). It's almost as if the crow it daring him to run out of ideas... :p

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2013, 04:07:08 PM

I decided long ago that there was only minimal enjoyment from the anticipation, so mostly I just try to ignore anything that isn't on the very near horizon.

pretty much nail on the head.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DontSayBanana

Quote from: 11B4V on November 26, 2013, 05:23:28 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2013, 04:07:08 PM

pretty much nail on the head.

Ditto.  Star Citizen sounds like something I'm going to be very interested in, but I'm just going to keep my inner news hound at bay until it gets closer to release or they decide to do some kind of open beta.
Experience bij!

Alcibiades

Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2013, 03:44:17 AM
I was interested until they revealed multiplayer part.

What in particular, just curious
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Syt

I like space trading/exploring games.

I'm not a big fan of doing it in an MP geared experience. I don't trust Braben to deliver a good product with his new Elite product (he seems all talk and pipe dream with little on actual delivery; kinda like Molyneux), X: Rebirth was an abortion, so Limit Theory is where my hope lies. That or buying the Space Rangers HD edition. Or trying Droz Operative again.

At the end of the day I just want a remake of Frontier: Elite II with modern graphics.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2013, 04:00:37 AM

At the end of the day I just want a remake of Frontier: Elite II with modern graphics.

I was thinking about that. I don`t think we would like that (I spent insane time on Elite II back in the day). I think it was our youngster imaginations that filled in the holes in the "life" of that universe. Holes that we are now accustomed to more or less filled by games like Space Rangers or the X series. And we are not that young anymore, it takes much more effort from a game to make me lost in its world. :(

So my hopes are on Braben. He managed to deliver 3 times already (ok, two and a half times), so let`s hope he manages a 4th time as well.

Syt

Fair enough, At any rate, I prefer games where my fun is not contingent on other people being present within the game.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2013, 01:45:23 PM
Fair enough, At any rate, I prefer games where my fun is not contingent on other people being present within the game.

Oh, I am with you on that 100%.

Tamas

from the comments under RPS`s coverage of the latest Elite dev diary, I can tell there will be severe fanboi wars between the Elite and Star Citizen crowds.  :D

"Yeah well it is not true that SC is only going to alpha at the end of next year, there will be single player dogfighting available soon, it will only be the persistent universe at end of next year"

and

"since SC will be done last, I am sure they will learn their lessons from X Rebirth and Elite: Dangerous, so it will be the greatest of the three!"

etc.