DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on February 14, 2018, 02:10:11 PM
I think that the meaning is pretty clear:  A ______ and his money are soon _______. After lots of tests, the two blanks always fill in the same way.
In my defense, I didn't take either test looking for my ethnic heritage.  I already know what it is via many years of research.  I viewed that as a neat gimmick, but understand there is no real way to tell a 'German' from a 'Frenchman' by looking at their DNA.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

You take German dna, fill in the missing pieces with frog dna and then you have French dna.

Well it worked in Jurassic Park.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2018, 10:53:15 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 13, 2018, 09:34:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 13, 2018, 01:52:43 AM
I decided to get one of these tests since they have a very inappropriate sale on for Valentines day.

I fully expect  a dissapointing 99% British /Irish as it completely can't tell the difference between them. Despite the research out there of genetic variation across the Isles.
Aren't you from Yorkshire dude?  You'll get a heavy Scandinavian result as well, I'd wager.

That's where a lot of my English ancestors are from, but I oddly I got <1% Scandinavian on AncestryDNA.  For some reason, my dad's brother got like 30% Scandinavian (and we are a "close" DNA match).  I know different siblings, etc. inherit different amounts of ethnicity, but that just seems a bit off.

My 5% Iberian was a bit of a surprise, but the way it's defined on Ancestry DNA's map that could be the French ancestry from my mom's side.

I'm 100% Italian based on all my elder relatives were from Italy but hey, I could see something different being in my DNA as I wouldn't be surprised if some ancestors were from outside Italy. I'll have to give that test a try sometime.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on February 16, 2018, 09:38:52 PM
I'm 100% Italian based on all my elder relatives were from Italy but hey, I could see something different being in my DNA as I wouldn't be surprised if some ancestors were from outside Italy. I'll have to give that test a try sometime.

Your Italian ancestors had ancestors from outside Italy, so, so do you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I found one line that, if true, makes me Barack Obama's 11th cousin, once removed.  For my kids, he'd be their 12th cousin.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2018, 01:53:20 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 16, 2018, 09:38:52 PM

Your Italian ancestors had ancestors from outside Italy, so, so do you.

Yep, agreed. So much of Europe had all kinds of people moving through, settling, etc. I could have DNA lineage from anywhere.

mongers

My ancestry?? :

Ancient Britons 'replaced' by newcomers

By Paul Rincon

The ancient population of Britain was almost completely replaced by newcomers about 4,500 years ago, a study shows.

The findings mean modern Britons trace just a small fraction of their ancestry to the people who built Stonehenge.

The astonishing result comes from analysis of DNA extracted from 400 ancient remains across Europe.

The mammoth study, published in Nature, suggests the newcomers, known as Beaker people, replaced 90% of the British gene pool in a few hundred years.

Lead author Prof David Reich, from Harvard Medical School in Cambridge, US, said: "The magnitude and suddenness of the population replacement is highly unexpected."

The reasons remain unclear, but climate change, disease and ecological disaster could all have played a role.

People in Britain lived by hunting and gathering until agriculture was introduced from continental Europe about 6,000 years ago. These Neolithic farmers, who traced their origins to Anatolia (modern Turkey) built giant stone (or "megalithic") structures such as Stonehenge in Wiltshire, huge Earth mounds and sophisticated settlements such as Skara Brae in the Orkneys.

But towards the end of the Neolithic, about 4,450 years ago, a new way of life spread to Britain from Europe. People began burying their dead with stylised bell-shaped pots, copper daggers, arrowheads, stone wrist guards and distinctive perforated buttons.

Full item here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43115485
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Disease seems like a likely candidate. Maybe they were an isolated population and the Celts came along with their horrible Eurasian diseases.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I admit I'm always somewhat skeptical of these sorts of studies.  How do you get a good sampling of a population that's been dead for six thousand years?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
I admit I'm always somewhat skeptical of these sorts of studies.  How do you get a good sampling of a population that's been dead for six thousand years?
400 remains seems like a good sample size.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point