News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CSI Venezuela

Started by Savonarola, October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2019, 08:32:06 AM
Coup is apparently ongoing, but early reports are not encouraging.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/apr/30/venezuela-opposition-leader-juan-guaido-claims-coup-underway-live-news

Not sure how far he's going to get with this.  I awoke to headlines about an "armed coup", but was just a few soldiers loyal to Guaido hanging with him near an Air Force base with their rifles slung.  Troops within the base fired tear gas at them.  Everyone pretty much just standing around.

Best thing about this thing is they freed Leopoldo Lopez from house arrest.  He is really the heart of brains behind the anti-Maduro movement.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Also, this is not a coup unless one considers Maduro to be the legitimate president of Venezuela.  Lots of lazy journalism going on out  there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2019, 10:30:53 AM
Also, this is not a coup unless one considers Maduro to be the legitimate president of Venezuela.  Lots of lazy journalism going on out  there.

People have no idea what is going on and they need to be informed. I keep hearing that Maduro is the elected President which was true until recently. I doubt The Guardian will say if Donald Trump just stays President past 2021 without being re-elected that he is the legitimately elected President and that anybody trying to remove him from office is carrying out a coup. I expect more from The Guardian.

Constitutionally it is Maduro who is carrying out the coup by staying in office illegally.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Also imagine Trump creating a new legislative body and packing it with his own supporters because the existing Congress wasn't cooperative enough.  And then banning every candidate that has a chance to beat him from the 2020 election.

derspiess

Just saw footage of Venezuelan National Guard armored cars running over protesters.  It is starting to get ugly.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2019, 11:03:17 AM
Just saw footage of Venezuelan National Guard armored cars running over protesters.  It is starting to get ugly.

My God. I think I have stated this numerous times during this nightmare but while we all knew this was not going to end well I don't think anybody thought it would quite end this badly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Just saw some footage on Twitter of some pro-Guaido soldiers holding an overpass.  Every time the Maduro forces approach them they fire warning shots.  So technically the shooting has started. 

Also saw some confusing footage of National Guard troops arresting other National Guard troops.  People are saying defections are increasing, but don't know how much of that is wishful thinking.  Pro-Guaido troops are wearing blue armbands to identify themselves as such.

OttoVonBismarck

I'd wager something like 4 to 1 odds against this working for Guaido, hopefully I'm wrong though and we see some dead communists soon.

DGuller

No news is bad news, I think.  Widespread defections either snowball right away, or don't happen at all.

derspiess

Really seems like a trickle of well-publicized defections.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

People are getting run over by armored cars, with no effective way to fight back.

derspiess

CNN, to its credit, is now calling it an uprising.

edit: Seems to have happened shortly after Venezuela cut their feed there, but I'll take it :D

Admiral Yi

I think it's interesting that no criticism is directed against the Cuban goons propping up Maduro.  Cuba continues to enjoy the benefits of the Che pass.

derspiess

The Bolivarian National Intelligence chief broke with Maduro yesterday.  He was one of the guys targeted by sanctions. 

celedhring

Search & Capture order issued for Leopoldo López, who's holed up at the Spanish Embassy.