And we're back!

Main Menu

CSI Venezuela

Started by Savonarola, October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2014, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 05:52:25 PM
True fact: I've met the coach/trainer/whatever for the Venezuelan dude skiing in the Olympics.

What did he tell you about Maduro's state of mind and thoughts on foreign policy?

Lots. But it was in Spanish so you probably wouldn't understand.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2014, 07:25:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2013, 12:15:10 PM
"Yesterday's Fascists" sounds like a good name for a band.

It was the Motto of the CIA in the 1950's.

<_<
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 11:48:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2014, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 05:52:25 PM
True fact: I've met the coach/trainer/whatever for the Venezuelan dude skiing in the Olympics.

What did he tell you about Maduro's state of mind and thoughts on foreign policy?

Lots. But it was in Spanish so you probably wouldn't understand.

Why not? I'm rusty but that was my main foreign language.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2014, 12:10:34 AM
Why not? I'm rusty but that was my main foreign language.

Nah, it's in a local dialect & I wouldn't want to confuse you.

celedhring

I'm pretty sure I could understand it. Please, go on.

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on February 20, 2014, 09:22:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I could understand it. Please, go on.

Plus, he likes to use his own terms for everything.  It'd just be gibberish to you guys.

Siege

Hey, this is a English-Only forum.

Read the forum rules.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

citizen k

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Appears so.  I think this is gonna get much uglier than Ukraine has been.

Admiral Yi

I doubt it.  Bad guys have too much firepower.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2014, 04:44:50 PM
I doubt it.  Bad guys have too much firepower.

That is actually why I'm saying it could get uglier.  The opposition there seems more & more emboldened despite being way outgunned by the army, police, paramilitary, and the heavily armed gangs loyal to Chavez Maduro.

Jacob

http://caracaschronicles.com/2014/02/19/19f/

QuoteTonight, Venezuela is seeing a spasm of violence that's unlike anything the country has experienced since 1989. Information is fragmented, since an almost complete media black-out is in place, but you don't need the media to hear your neighbor's screams.

Caracas, Valencia, Merida and San Cristobal in particular have become virtual war zones: National Guard units and National Police have been shooting tear gas canisters and buckshot sometimes directly at protesters, sometimes into residential buildings and, raiding any place they think student protesters may be hiding. Alongside them, the government backed colectivos (basically paramilitary gangs on motorbikes, a tropical basij) shoot at people with live ammo.

http://caracaschronicles.com/2014/02/20/the-game-changed/

Admiral Yi

I wonder how much the price of Miami real estate jumped in the last 30 minutes.