News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CSI Venezuela

Started by Savonarola, October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Apparently they love him in Turkey. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2019, 01:01:48 PM
He can always go to Cuba.  Also doubt Turkey would extradite him.

Yeah, now seeing more talk of him getting a deal to live in some country. I heard possibly even Mexico but I tend to doubt that as it's so close to Venezuela. I figure he'd rather be somewhere well out of reach. But also, as others post, he's still getting strong enough support from the military and his "ally" nations so could remain, though with the problems of the country getting more and more desperate, beyond desperate for a while now, what does he gain by remaining there.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2019, 12:40:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2019, 12:38:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2019, 12:24:22 PM
Apparently with the power out there is also no running water in Caracas for the past few days.

Sometimes I wonder not how Maduro manages to keep power, but why he wants to. Surely he can see this situation cannot and will not end well for him.

But that's exactly it.  The days when dictators could flee into comfortable exile on the French Riviera are over.  If he leaves power he's probably hauled before either a Venezuelan court, or the ICC, for crimes against humanity.  He has to stay in power for his own survival.

This makes me think it would be a good idea to guarantee evil dictators complete immunity for their crimes, if they step down - because otherwise they won't step down.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sophie Scholl

Apparently with the power out there is also no running water in Caracas for the past few days.
Puerto Rico might have some pointers for them.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on March 13, 2019, 01:21:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2019, 12:40:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2019, 12:38:27 PM

Sometimes I wonder not how Maduro manages to keep power, but why he wants to. Surely he can see this situation cannot and will not end well for him.

But that's exactly it.  The days when dictators could flee into comfortable exile on the French Riviera are over.  If he leaves power he's probably hauled before either a Venezuelan court, or the ICC, for crimes against humanity.  He has to stay in power for his own survival.

This makes me think it would be a good idea to guarantee evil dictators complete immunity for their crimes, if they step down - because otherwise they won't step down.

But that would also eliminate a lot of the risk associated with becoming a dictator in the first place. And then we might have more men willing to become dictators. Don't want to end up like Mussolini or Khadafi did? Don't become a dictator.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2019, 10:09:35 PM
But that would also eliminate a lot of the risk associated with becoming a dictator in the first place. And then we might have more men willing to become dictators. Don't want to end up like Mussolini or Khadafi did? Don't become a dictator.

Heh. You act like the very act of becoming a dictator is not incredibly dangerous. As Thucydides pointed out, people are seldom deterred by the possibility of death.

But I still think we shouldn't let them go. Justice demands action for its own sake.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I would like to think the Mussolini fate would at least encourage some restraint.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2019, 08:50:10 AM
I would like to think the Mussolini fate would at least encourage some restraint.
Salazar had no problems staying in power, nor did Franco.  Chavez was never bothered either.
Lots&lots of dictators live a long and peaceful life.  Well, sorta.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2019, 08:50:10 AM

It won't. It is just how the "Game of Thrones" is played. All those guys climbed the ladder knowing if they ever screwed up they were probably going to be killed. If it did not stop them then it certainly is not going to stop them once they have achieved power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

It's like the mafia.  Climbing all your way to the top means you kill your friends or you get killed by your friends at some point.  Or you are caught by the police and denounce your former friends, or one of your former friend turns informant.

That does not stop organize crime from thriving.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

derspiess

I've been harping on those fuckers for a while.  I think even in the best possible scenario, they are going to make Venezuela very difficult to govern.

Admiral Yi

The Venezuelan government claims the power outages were caused by the demonic government of the US emitting electromagnetic waves from mobile devices.

From The Economist

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Check the app store.  I don't have a smart phone.