What Should the the United Daughters of the Confederacy do

Started by Jacob, April 05, 2021, 11:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 07, 2021, 10:18:07 AM
The phrase "shit just got real" is over-used I think.  Are there really large groups of people denying the reality of shit these days?  Is there some sort of gnostic revival movement focused on excrement that I've missed?
A lot of shit these days is complex.

Jacob

The phrase "shit just got real" is over-used I think.  Are there really large groups of people denying the reality of shit these days?  Is there some sort of gnostic revival movement focused on excrement that I've missed?

The GOP?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Jacob on April 07, 2021, 10:21:16 AM

The GOP?

Fake shit!  :mad:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

The GOP is clearly aware of the reality of shit, as they keep electing pieces of it to Congress.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2021, 11:15:52 PM
What should they do in the face of this demand?

Quote$500,000 Jefferson Davis chair stolen in Selma will be a toilet unless Confederate group hangs banner, email claims

A Confederate monument valued at $500,000 was stolen in March from a Selma cemetery, officials confirmed today.

This morning, a group that claims to have taken the monument, the Jefferson Davis Memorial Chair, sent emails to AL.com saying they will give the chair to the United Daughters of the Confederacy if that organization agrees to hang a banner outside its Richmond, Va. headquarters.

In those emails, a group calling itself White Lies Matter say they stole the chair from the Old Live Oak Cemetery and are demanding that the UDC hang a large banner at 1 p.m. on Friday -- the anniversary of the Confederacy's surrender in the Civil War -- and leave it there for 24 hours.

The banner bears a quote from Assata Shakur, a Black Liberation Army activist wanted by the FBI for the 1973 murder of a New Jersey state trooper: "The rulers of this country have always considered their property more important than our lives."

White Lies Matter said it had already delivered the banner to the UDC.

"Failure to do so will result in the monument, an ornate stone chair, immediately being turned into a toilet," the email states. "If they do display the banner, not only will we return the chair intact, but we will clean it to boot."

A woman who answered the phone at the Virginia offices of the UDC said she had heard the reports of the theft and ransom demand were "fake news" and there was no immediate response to an email to the organization seeking further comment.

Selma police and District Attorney Michael Jackson confirmed the theft and said they were aware of the ransom demand.

The felony theft occurred sometime between midnight and 3 a.m. on March 19, according to a Selma police report.

District Attorney Michael Jackson said the chair is reportedly worth $500,000.

"This incident is sending Selma back into 'The Twilight Zone,'" he said. "There's never a dull moment in Selma."

There is a $5,000 reward leading to information about the disappearance of the chair, described as being about 3-feet-tall and weighing several hundred pounds, The Montgomery Advertiser reported.

"The Ladies of Selma presented the stone chair in memory of Jefferson Davis in 1893, over 20 years after he'd last visited the city," that report stated.

In 2012, a bronze bust of Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest was stolen from the cemetery.

"Like most Confederate monuments, (the chair) mostly exists to remind those who's freedom had to be purchased in blood, that there still exists a portion of our country that is more than willing to continue to spill blood to avoid paying that debt down," the White Lies Matter email states.

"We took their toy, and we don't feel guilty about it. They never play with it anyway. They just want it there to remind us what they've done, what they are still willing to do. But the south won't rise again. Not as the Confederacy. Because that coalition left out a large portion of its population. All that's left of that nightmare is an obscenely heavy chair that's a throne for a ghost whose greatest accomplishment was treason."

Pictures provided by White Lies Matter appear to show the theft of the chair.

Source: https://www.al.com/news/2021/04/500000-jefferson-davis-chair-stolen-in-selma-will-be-a-toilet-unless-confederate-group-meets-demands-email-claims.html
did they ever get their chair back?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2021, 11:45:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2021, 08:08:44 PM
The weird thing about the US civil war is that the North didn't really try that hard.  They never went into the full war production and while they did impose a draft very few soldiers were drafted.  I agree with Grumbler, there was no way in Hell that the South could have won.  To even think about winning they would have needed all three border states to voluntarily join the South, and even then it's not likely.

They needed to win big victories early on in the border states...they did not.
The South lost because Kentucky stayed (mostly) loyal. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!