Main Menu

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!

Started by Barrister, October 14, 2013, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 12:30:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2013, 12:26:40 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 15, 2013, 11:51:00 AM
The traditional complement to that is verenekje -- like perogies but filled with cottage cheese. Another would be keilkje -- egg noodle chunks. Either would traditionally be served with cream gravy, but I prefer sour cream.

That is some good stuff right there.  Especially with the sour cream.  My grandmother also used to put fruit in the with cottage cheese.  That kind of cooking is unforunately a dying art.

I have a feeling that Max would rather see me fill those things with dirt than fruit to go with his sausage, but I may make some for the rest of us. :)

It depends on the fruit of course.  But plum works particularly well with cottage cheese.

CountDeMoney

Get in the kitchen and make that man a sammich anyway, like Ed's proper wife does.

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 12:33:44 PM
Get in the kitchen and make that man a sammich anyway, like Ed's proper wife does.

The one in France?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2013, 12:32:46 PM

It certainly is!

Compare and contrast.

Meri: Honey what should I cook for Xmas when all your relatives come.

Max: whatever is fine ( in his head - really I have to think about that now)

vs

Meri: Honey I am wearing your favourite ------------------------- and I want you to ------------------- so hurry up to bed.

Max [his thoughts and words have been deleted] max hurries up to bed.

:P

:rolleyes:   :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2013, 12:33:18 PM

It depends on the fruit of course.  But plum works particularly well with cottage cheese.

Max believes that meat does not go with fruit.... ever. Of any kind.

Eddie Teach

:hmm:

A good salad will have bacon and strawberries in it, but as a rule of thumb that's a good one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I once ate an entire can of Bacon Bits.  Melted cheese right on top of that shit.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 12:41:52 PM

Good thing you guys don't need to survive the winter eating pemmican, like the voyageurs.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2013, 01:37:10 PM

Good thing you guys don't need to survive the winter eating pemmican, like the voyageurs.  ;)

I'd be just fine. Max, on the other hand, would not be so happy.

crazy canuck

You are getting hung up on the meat when I am talking about cooking a dish that combines cottage cheese and plum rolled in a dough covering.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2013, 09:12:11 AM
grumbler, it wouldn't be all that hard to do do some research to be able to troll early Canadian atomic research, but you do need to put in some effort...
Beebs, I was really writing for those with a sense of humor, not for those who see anything even possibly derogatory as a troll.  You could possibly get the joke if you put in some effort...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2013, 02:40:43 PM

You are getting hung up on the meat when I am talking about cooking a dish that combines cottage cheese and plum rolled in a dough covering.

No, you fail to understand. Max wants farmers' sausage. The dumpling thingies are a side dish, ie not important, but nice to have. The meat is what's important, and to Max, fruit doesn't go with meat.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 02:50:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2013, 02:40:43 PM

No, you fail to understand. Max wants farmers' sausage. The dumpling thingies are a side dish, ie not important, but nice to have. The meat is what's important, and to Max, fruit doesn't go with meat.

Ok meri.  But you asked how people from Alberta and Sask cook.  I am telling you  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 15, 2013, 12:39:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 12:33:44 PM

The one in France?

Both of them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive