News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!

Started by Barrister, October 14, 2013, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 08:00:31 AM
So, speaking of Canadian meals and holidays and such....

I'm hosting Max's family for Christmas. What should be on my menu that's outside The American Norm (tm)? Keep in mind, the family is from Alberta & Saskatchewan not Quebec or Vancouver.

Suggestions?

Well in my experience living and growing up in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba it's just not the holidays without the pyrogies (and not just my family - it's also true with my wife's family), but that's obviously a ukrainian influence.  I'm not sure what a traditional mennonite Christmas would be like.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

daveracher

3rd year of cooking a Turducken in my household. I definately am thankful for having smaller poultry stuffed in larger poultry!
Birdman of Burlington

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2013, 08:59:03 AM
Don't ask what he wants, ask what they had when he was a kid.

Again, it's clear that you don't know him.

Meri: What did you have as a kid for the holidays? :)
Max: Oh. :mellow: Well, we had honeyed ham, mashed potatoes w/ mushroom gravy, creamed corn casserole, and apple pie.
Meri: :w00t: That sounds delicious! Did you like it?
Max: :mellow: No.
Meri: :mellow: :mad: Well, what did you like?
Max: Oh, just make whatever you want. :)
Meri: :ultra:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

The brining of the Turkey was perfect this year.  Also with the bumper crop of local apples we made apple pies instead of pumpkin pie.  They were amazing.

@ Meri, Max's family comes from the part of the country that normally serves Uke food on all spcial occasions.  Better check to see if they are part of that tradition before you do it though.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2013, 08:57:24 AM
He speaks that much? :o

He does to me. :)

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2013, 09:18:01 AM
Well in my experience living and growing up in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba it's just not the holidays without the pyrogies (and not just my family - it's also true with my wife's family), but that's obviously a ukrainian influence.  I'm not sure what a traditional mennonite Christmas would be like.

I've a feeling that pyrogies won't really cut it, not least of which is that I don't know how to make them and I don't particularly care for them. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 11:09:40 AM
Again, it's clear that you don't know him.

Meri: What did you have as a kid for the holidays? :)
Max: Oh. :mellow: Well, we had honeyed ham, mashed potatoes w/ mushroom gravy, creamed corn casserole, and apple pie.
Meri: :w00t: That sounds delicious! Did you like it?
Max: :mellow: No.
Meri: :mellow: :mad: Well, what did you like?
Max: Oh, just make whatever you want. :)
Meri: :ultra:

I thought you were doing it for the folks.

I mean if I were in this situation, I'd tell my wife she could make cornbread pudding though I wouldn't be having any of it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2013, 11:17:54 AM
I thought you were doing it for the folks.

I mean if I were in this situation, I'd tell my wife she could make cornbread pudding though I wouldn't be having any of it.

I still want him to like it. :sleep:

Grey Fox

I never knew of this massive influence of Ukrainian food culture on my fellows Canadians.

Must be why that perogies chip flavor is going to win.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Maximus

:glare:

You never actually asked other than to mention we needed to discuss it as you headed to bed.

I want sausage: real mennonite farmer sausage from the Canadian prairies(because AFAIK that's the only place it's made). The traditional complement to that is verenekje -- like perogies but filled with cottage cheese. Another would be keilkje -- egg noodle chunks. Either would traditionally be served with cream gravy, but I prefer sour cream.

CountDeMoney

That actually sounds pretty damned yummy.

Get thee to the kitchen, woman!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on October 15, 2013, 11:51:00 AM
The traditional complement to that is verenekje -- like perogies but filled with cottage cheese. Another would be keilkje -- egg noodle chunks. Either would traditionally be served with cream gravy, but I prefer sour cream.

That is some good stuff right there.  Especially with the sour cream.  My grandmother also used to put fruit in the with cottage cheese.  That kind of cooking is unforunately a dying art.

merithyn

:glare:

You never actually asked other than to mention we needed to discuss it as you headed to bed.

I want sausage: real mennonite farmer sausage from the Canadian prairies(because AFAIK that's the only place it's made). The traditional complement to that is verenekje -- like perogies but filled with cottage cheese. Another would be keilkje -- egg noodle chunks. Either would traditionally be served with cream gravy, but I prefer sour cream.

It's not my fault you didn't come to bed until after 1:00am. :glare:

Um... okay, then. Well... time to look up some recipes. And to ask your sisters to bring that farmer sausage stuff. (I still don't get the appeal, but if it's what you'd like, I'll make sure that you have it. :hug:)

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2013, 12:26:40 PM
The traditional complement to that is verenekje -- like perogies but filled with cottage cheese. Another would be keilkje -- egg noodle chunks. Either would traditionally be served with cream gravy, but I prefer sour cream.

That is some good stuff right there.  Especially with the sour cream.  My grandmother also used to put fruit in the with cottage cheese.  That kind of cooking is unforunately a dying art.

I have a feeling that Max would rather see me fill those things with dirt than fruit to go with his sausage, but I may make some for the rest of us. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 12:28:02 PM
It's not my fault you didn't come to bed until after 1:00am. :glare:

It certainly is!

Compare and contrast.

Meri: Honey what should I cook for Xmas when all your relatives come.

Max: whatever is fine ( in his head - really I have to think about that now)

vs

Meri: Honey I am wearing your favourite ------------------------- and I want you to ------------------- so hurry up to bed.

Max [his thoughts and words have been deleted] max hurries up to bed.

:P