News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!

Started by Barrister, October 14, 2013, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2013, 11:04:35 PM
And 200+ years of continuous protection under the continuous protection of the Royal Navy.

It's good to have friends.  It gives us something to be thankful for. :)

LOL, Royal Navy.  Talk about a blast from the past.  Legions used to protect Rome, too.

QuoteAnd if you want to get technical about it, Canada was seriously involved in supplying the Manhattan project, and was the second country in the world to produce a nuclear reactor (in 1945 no less).  It's only because you guys asked us politely not to build nuclear weapons that we chose not to. :)

Fuck off.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon, will you please tell BB to fuck off?  Like that?

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2013, 12:37:59 AM
Not only that but of all of the countries in on early atomic research Canada had by far the fewest spies passing it all on to Moscow.

Yep.  There was only that one Canadian scientist involved in the research, and he could only do so much in terms of spying for Moscow.  There was a second Canadian who finally finished high school while the Manhattan Project was still under way, but he refused to go to work for the project because his orders from Moscow used trahison as though it were a male noun.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 08:00:31 AM
So, speaking of Canadian meals and holidays and such....

I'm hosting Max's family for Christmas. What should be on my menu that's outside The American Norm (tm)? Keep in mind, the family is from Alberta & Saskatchewan not Quebec or Vancouver.

Suggestions?

Yes. ah, well, no.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 15, 2013, 08:17:20 AM

I'm hosting Max's family for Christmas. What should be on my menu that's outside The American Norm (tm)? Keep in mind, the family is from Alberta & Saskatchewan not Quebec or Vancouver.

Suggestions?

Yes. ah, well, no.

Poutin is already on the menu. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2013, 08:50:22 AM
I'd suggest asking Max.  :P

You've clearly never met my husband.

Meri: What should we have for Christmas dinner, honey?
Max: Whatever you want to make.
Meri: :mellow: But what will your family like?
Max: They'll be happy with whatever you make for them. :)
Meri: :glare: So, no suggestions?
Max: Poutine? :mmm:
Meri:  :rolleyes: :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Don't ask what he wants, ask what they had when he was a kid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2013, 08:42:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 15, 2013, 08:17:20 AM

Suggestions?

Yes. ah, well, no.

Poutin is already on the menu. ;)

Fries on Christmas? My ancestors are rolling in their catholic graves.

garbon

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2013, 08:10:46 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2013, 12:37:59 AM
Not only that but of all of the countries in on early atomic research Canada had by far the fewest spies passing it all on to Moscow.

Yep.  There was only that one Canadian scientist involved in the research, and he could only do so much in terms of spying for Moscow.  There was a second Canadian who finally finished high school while the Manhattan Project was still under way, but he refused to go to work for the project because his orders from Moscow used trahison as though it were a male noun.

grumbler, it wouldn't be all that hard to do do some research to be able to troll early Canadian atomic research, but you do need to put in some effort...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.