Forget High-Speed Rail: Elon Musk Wants to Build Something Far More Awesome

Started by jimmy olsen, July 15, 2013, 05:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2017, 09:22:07 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 15, 2013, 08:01:23 PM
Musk has actually been wildly successful. Space X is the most advanced aerospace company in the world and raking in billions of dollars worth of orders.

Have any of his companies made any profit?

Ever heard of a obscure company called Paypal?

The Larch

Musk has actually been wildly successful. Space X is the most advanced aerospace company in the world and raking in billions of dollars worth of orders.

According to wiki this is Tesla's performance so far:

This are their numbers for 2016:

Revenue US$7.00B
Operating income US$-667.3M
Net income US$-674.9M
Total assets US$22.66B
Total equity US$4.75B

So, no profit yet and still losing money but revenue is increasing quite a lot.

No idea about SpaceX, but they've won a number of contracts from NASA, defence and commercial sources, so they must be have a significant income, although their expenses might also be astronomical (pun intended).

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on March 10, 2017, 10:32:00 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2017, 09:50:25 AM
Amazon does.

That's Bezos, nor Musk.

Yeah, just had a brain fart. They're the Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling of boundary-pushing tech billionaires to me.

The Minsky Moment

Profit, heh.  That's so Old Economy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Amazon does.

That's Bezos, nor Musk.

A good example though since it took Amazon like a decade to make a profit. Investors wisely took a long term outlook with them.

Tesla looks the same.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 10, 2017, 10:57:25 PM
Amazon does.

That's Bezos, nor Musk.

A good example though since it took Amazon like a decade to make a profit. Investors wisely took a long term outlook with them.

Tesla looks the same.
This year will be interesting. They are moving downmarket, which is not where the profits have traditionally been in the automotive industry. Will be interesting to see if they can actually turn out a decent product with the Tesla 3 and earn money from it.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

One of the existing models or the Model 3? I wouldn't want to be an early adopter when it comes to Tesla. Better be a fast follower and get the car when it has been on the market for a couple of months to make sure they ironed out the initial quality issues that Tesla had with all their products so far. I think you would probably get better value if you get a pre-owned Model S.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Zanza

I like the sleek exterior of the Model 3, but the minimalistic interior (at least what was shown so far) is not appealing to me somehow despite having a minimalist taste normally.

Berkut

My big question on it is whether I can really have a vehicle with a 200 mile range as my only car...

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on March 11, 2017, 05:29:33 PM
My big question on it is whether I can really have a vehicle with a 200 mile range as my only car...

How often do you drive more than 200 miles in a day?

If you do, is it practical for you to stop and stretch your legs/eat for 30 minutes while it charges at a supercharger?

1 Karma Chameleon point