Forget High-Speed Rail: Elon Musk Wants to Build Something Far More Awesome

Started by jimmy olsen, July 15, 2013, 05:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

800mph? How? :huh:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/07/15/elon_musk_hyperloop_plans_here_s_what_it_might_look_like.html
QuoteForget High-Speed Rail: Elon Musk Wants to Build Something Far More Awesome

By Will Oremus
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013, at 5:54 PM

High-speed rail is so 20th-century. Well, perhaps not in the United States, where we still haven't gotten around to building any true bullet trains. After 30 years of dithering, California is finally working on one that would get people from Los Angeles to San Francisco in a little under two-and-a-half hours, but it could cost on the order of $100 billion and won't be ready until at least 2028.

Enter Tesla and SpaceX visionary Elon Musk with one of the craziest-sounding ideas in transportation history. For a while now Musk has been hinting at an idea he calls the Hyperloop—a ground-based transportation technology that would get people from Los Angeles to San Francisco in under half an hour, for less than one-tenth the cost of building the high-speed rail line. Oh, and this 800-mph system would be self-powered, immune to weather, and would never crash.

What is the Hyperloop? So far Musk hasn't gotten very specific, though he once called it "a cross between a Concorde and a railgun and an air hockey table." But we'll soon find out more. On Monday, Musk tweeted that he will publish an "alpha design" for the Hyperloop by Aug. 12. Responding to questions on Twitter, he indicated that the plans would be open-source, and that he would consider a partnership with someone who shared his vision. Perhaps the best clue came when he responded to an engineer named John Gardi, who published a diagram of his best guess as to how the Hyperloop might work:

Musk's reply:
         Tinker @John_Gardi

@elonmusk: Can you give me some basic clues? What diameter of tube so I can start designing stations & throughways? http://twitpic.com/cw4pqb

Elon Musk        ✔ @elonmusk

@John_Gardi your guess is the closest I've seen anyone guess so far. Pod diameter probably around 2m
    1:51 AM - 16 Jul 2013

It sounds fanciful, and maybe it is. But Musk is not the only one working on ultra-fast land-based transportation systems. And if anyone can turn an idea like this into reality, it might just be the man who has spent the past decade revolutionizing electric cars and space transport. Don't be surprised if the biggest obstacles to the Hyperloop turn out to be bureaucratic rather than technological. After all, we've known how to build bullet trains for half a century, and look how far that has gotten us. Still, a nation can dream—and as long as we're dreaming, why not dream about something way cooler than what Japan and China are already working on?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Viking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_tube

this is a really old idea. my personal version is a vaccum tube controlled by radial maglev which provides accelleration. I was just thinking trans oceanic transport so that the full effect of the fantastically high max speed of the system.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Quote from: citizen k on July 15, 2013, 05:27:50 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 15, 2013, 05:23:22 PM
I call BS.

Anything that's made by humans can crash.

FYP

I was originally going to keep it that simple, but I didn't want any Timmah loopholes.

Caliga

Elon Musk... isn't this guy basically the Peter Molyneux of the transportation world?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

How the fuck can a train cost $100 billion?

This is why America is doomed.  Market corruption makes public works impossible.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on July 15, 2013, 07:23:08 PM
Elon Musk... isn't this guy basically the Peter Molyneux of the transportation world?
No. :mellow:

Musk has actually been wildly successful. Space X is the most advanced aerospace company in the world and raking in billions of dollars worth of orders.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

This sound awesome.

We'll have fast ground transportation and slow air freight:

The Aeroscraft is the name of a series of cargo-carrying rigid airships planned by the Worldwide Aeros Corporation. The company is seeking funding for its ML868 model 66-ton ship and for its 250-ton ML868. A 500-ton ML86X is also on the drawing board.[1]

A scaled-down prototype called the "Pelican" was completed in January 2013 with funding from the U.S. Department of Defense.[

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

The Tesla is a pretty sweet ride.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 15, 2013, 08:01:23 PM

Musk has actually been wildly successful. Space X is the most advanced aerospace company in the world and raking in billions of dollars worth of orders.

What are they selling?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Musk, an ugly scent 
the wet nature of fucking
that animals do

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 16, 2013, 03:32:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 15, 2013, 08:01:23 PM

What are they selling?
Rockets. Launch Services. You know, the usual stuff.

Thing is that their rockets cost less and put more orbit than the competition. They have lots of orders from the military, as well as private companies, and even NASA.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017