News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

General issues

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 09, 2013, 06:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I know how it works dude... I've had to tweak my hosts file for work stuff while working on non-production webshares.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Yeah, I just saw your post on FB about Chrome routing things to Google search automatically if it doesn't think it is a URL.  :blush:

Plus, you know, I don't expect HR to know these things. :P

Caliga

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on January 22, 2015, 07:07:34 PM
vM, I think most people are Chrome users and even if they hack their host files, if they just type 'languish.org' into their address bar, it won't work because Chrome always wants to be searching for an address.  You'd have to put 'http://' in there, too, or else it won't work post-host file update.

Editing host file and using languish.org without http:// worked for me in Chrome. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I did the same thing, which is why I couldn't figure out what you were talking about.  In fact, until Syt posted I still misunderstood, because I thought you were talking about the address bar.

Protocols are never needed in hosts files, because it is just a mapping of names to IP addresses.  A name lookup does not care about the protocol string.

Grey Fox

Apparently Chromebooks don't have editable hosts files. Can't say I'm surprised.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 23, 2015, 09:55:58 AM
I did the same thing, which is why I couldn't figure out what you were talking about.  In fact, until Syt posted I still misunderstood, because I thought you were talking about the address bar.

Protocols are never needed in hosts files, because it is just a mapping of names to IP addresses.  A name lookup does not care about the protocol string.
I was talking about the address bar, not the hosts file.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Transfer is complete and I switched the DNS servers this morning.  DNS should heal itself by tomorrow morning.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

Thanks for the work on this guys!   :)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

the place still smells like stale pee. But at least I'm out of the mod fascist paradox hellhole.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

It was a nice respite, as the shutdown coincided with a rather nasty bout of Fuck All You Fucking Assholes I Hope You All Fucking Get Windshielded In A Pedestrian Crossing that I was going through last week.

Grey Fox

That would never happen. I avoid walking anywhere.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.