News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2024, 02:09:05 PMDoes Wolf know koine Greek?  It's not a good idea to try a literal translation if you don't know the language.

She was clear she was using a Koine greek to english dictionary.

Using a dictionary like that can be great for getting the basic gist of something - but is hardly a guarantee of getting the most important information out of a text.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2024, 01:15:03 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2024, 12:19:34 PMMy grandfather was a Lutheran pastor and served a term as a Bishop in the ELCA.  I remember him telling me that during his term he had argued in favor of endorsing some newer revision of the Bible because he wanted the Message to be as clear as possible to as many people as possible, but there were conservatives who disagreed and ultimately they made no change to their recommended translation of the Bible for congregations... or something along those lines (this was in the 1980s so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the specifics).

It's weirdly ironic. Translating the Bible into language people could understand (English, German etc.) without need for interlocutors in the form of pastors/priests was once a transgressive and groundbreaking move. Now, these centuries old translations have become more difficult to understand for contemporary Christians, but now you have again some conservatives pushing back on updating translations, sticking to the old ones. :D

Its funny though, because these colloquial translations might have made things harder for modern folk to read than if they'd stuck to more formal English at the time.
Always strikes me as funny when you get low grade fiction having a historic person speaking polite ye olde English throwing around thou et al. English mostly lost its impolite forms. Its the polite formal forms we kept.
Like imagine a bible translation using all the hippest 1970s language. This tends to be a bit of a problem with modern language takes; they go too far in trying to be trendy.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Sidenote - "thou", "thee", "thine" don't throw me off much in reading "old" English, because it's very much the equivalent (not in all contexts but largely) of "Du", "Dir"/"Dich", "Dein" in German. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on Today at 02:58:56 AMSidenote - "thou", "thee", "thine" don't throw me off much in reading "old" English, because it's very much the equivalent (not in all contexts but largely) of "Du", "Dir"/"Dich", "Dein" in German. :P

Hardly surprising. Same goes for all languages and/or dialects with separate singular and plural second person forms.
German also has the old courtesy form with Ihr now used as a plural Du, as in some, not all, Romance languages.

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:51:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2024, 01:15:03 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2024, 12:19:34 PMMy grandfather was a Lutheran pastor and served a term as a Bishop in the ELCA.  I remember him telling me that during his term he had argued in favor of endorsing some newer revision of the Bible because he wanted the Message to be as clear as possible to as many people as possible, but there were conservatives who disagreed and ultimately they made no change to their recommended translation of the Bible for congregations... or something along those lines (this was in the 1980s so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the specifics).

It's weirdly ironic. Translating the Bible into language people could understand (English, German etc.) without need for interlocutors in the form of pastors/priests was once a transgressive and groundbreaking move. Now, these centuries old translations have become more difficult to understand for contemporary Christians, but now you have again some conservatives pushing back on updating translations, sticking to the old ones. :D

Its funny though, because these colloquial translations might have made things harder for modern folk to read than if they'd stuck to more formal English at the time.
Always strikes me as funny when you get low grade fiction having a historic person speaking polite ye olde English throwing around thou et al. English mostly lost its impolite forms. Its the polite formal forms we kept.
Like imagine a bible translation using all the hippest 1970s language. This tends to be a bit of a problem with modern language takes; they go too far in trying to be trendy.

Huh. I have never heard a criticism that the NIV is just too full of hip slang terms.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on Today at 02:58:56 AMSidenote - "thou", "thee", "thine" don't throw me off much in reading "old" English, because it's very much the equivalent (not in all contexts but largely) of "Du", "Dir"/"Dich", "Dein" in German. :P

They're archaic to us; so when I was young I thought thou/thee/thine were the formal pronouns because I had only encounter them in Shakespeare and The Lord's Prayer.  So I reasoned people were more formal back in those days. (:lol:)

As I've written before I was surprised to find that in Molière The Misanthrope everyone uses the vous form, even brother and sister.  So a similar change must have happened in French as what happened in English, but somehow they returned to using the tu.

I was also amused to find that the plural informal second tense in New World Spanish (vosotros) is used in the Bible.  I've never encountered it anywhere else (outside of works originating in Spain), so it's like the thee/thou/thine in the KJV.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on Today at 04:28:09 PMI was also amused to find that the plural informal second tense in New World Spanish (vosotros) is used in the Bible.  I've never encountered it anywhere else (outside of works originating in Spain), so it's like the thee/thou/thine in the KJV.

I think the Argies use it.