News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 01:19:39 PMThe King of Queens?

Finished 17 years ago (2007). Getting hard to consider it "contemporary" :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Fits as being a lower class family comedy.  Hardly any cultural impact though IMHO.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Middle/Low class costumbrism seems pretty much tied to comedy, which is at a bit of a low ebb in the current mainstream culture for some reason.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on Today at 02:16:40 PM

Fits as being a lower class family comedy.  Hardly any cultural impact though IMHO.

It's having a meme revival.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 11:34:29 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 11:28:20 AM
Quote from: Syt on Today at 11:23:48 AMThinking about it some more, I guess the "average Joe" series are mostly workplace comedies now? The Office, Superstore, etc?
I think so.

But I was thinking about your post and how we've shifted. Were there any sitcoms about friends or flatmates etc (not family and not colleagues) before the 90s? I can't think of any off the top of my head :hmm:

Edit: Actually in a British context - maybe Hancock's Half Hour and Rising Damp.

Three's company

Bosom Buddies (with Tom Hanks), Perfect Strangers, maybe Mork & Mindy?  Also Laverne & Shirley.

(I watched way too much TV as a kid.)

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on Today at 12:58:39 PMJust finished Shogun.

I'll be shocked if this doesn't win a shit ton of awards.

Deservedly so.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.