Author Topic: The Off Topic Topic  (Read 2599811 times)

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
Re: The Off Topic Topic
« Reply #70335 on: Today at 04:48:31 am »
Closest stat I found for Spain is a poll 8 years ago asking people whether they had ever holidayed abroad, and only 52% respondents had. So I guess we can't be that hard on yanks.

And unlike Spain, America is a very large country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
« Reply #70336 on: Today at 05:09:25 am »
Only found it interesting and I think it has less to do with America being a large country and more with Americans having very little vacation time and many living paycheck to paycheck.

Only comparable statistic I found for Germany: Question is "Have you ever been on vacation abroad?"

Also found statistics that about a third of Germans have their main vacation in Germany each year and about 15-20% are too poor for vacations.

Apparently about a third of EU citizens never left their home country. Cannot access the source for that though.

celedhring

• Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #70337 on: Today at 05:21:50 am »
I wish I could access the full source of the Spanish poll too. The data reported by media seems to suggest it's a matter of income indeed. Richest regions have more people travelling abroad than poorer ones. Navarre and Catalonia had the largest share of people going abroad, and they are both a) rich b) border France.

The Larch

• I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #70338 on: Today at 05:45:24 am »
I wish I could access the full source of the Spanish poll too. The data reported by media seems to suggest it's a matter of income indeed. Richest regions have more people travelling abroad than poorer ones. Navarre and Catalonia had the largest share of people going abroad, and they are both a) rich b) border France.

Would be interesting to check those stats but discounting France and Portugal. Over here you don't really need to be rich to travel abroad, I mean, Portugal is barely 1 hour away by car from my hometown.  :P

Duque de Bragança

• Blue Ribbon Brother
« Reply #70339 on: Today at 05:58:44 am »

Would be interesting to check those stats but discounting France and Portugal. Over here you don't really need to be rich to travel abroad, I mean, Portugal is barely 1 hour away by car from my hometown.  :P

Thing is, Portugal does not count as abroad for Galicia. :D
Well, Northern Portugal actually.  :P

celedhring

• Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #70340 on: Today at 05:59:12 am »
My first travel abroad was when my grandma took us on a mountain getaway, and we mistakenly ended up on the French side of the Pyrenees while trekking  :D

The Larch

• I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #70341 on: Today at 06:32:06 am »

Thing is, Portugal does not count as abroad for Galicia. :D
Well, Northern Portugal actually.  :P

Yeah, Northern Portugal/Southern Galicia does not really count as travelling abroad for locals. If my parents are to be believed, I was even conceived in Portugal (Peneda-Gerês area) during a camping trip.  :P

Btw, I've just been to Bragança yesterday.  :lol:

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #70342 on: Today at 07:33:00 am »
Closest stat I found for Spain is a poll 8 years ago asking people whether they had ever holidayed abroad, and only 52% respondents had. So I guess we can't be that hard on yanks.

I wonder if the respondents considered Portugal and France as “abroad”

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • LLL.Rural Poverty
« Reply #70343 on: Today at 07:34:55 am »

I wonder if the respondents considered Portugal and France as “abroad”

Good point and an optimistic one too.

:waves EU flag:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"