Author Topic: Facebook Follies of Friends and Families  (Read 319037 times)

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
Re: Facebook Follies of Friends and Families
« Reply #7545 on: Today at 01:27:56 pm »
I'm not sure that one belongs here. This is a sentiment that my father has expressed as he otherwise feel like we are qualifying his American status. He'd much rather be called black.

Yeah I never understood why "African-American" was used than just saying "Black"

Besides there was a time when you knew exactly who that term referred to, but now we have so many immigrants from Africa that it gets confusing.

Well, actually, that's the point--it's used to distinguish black Americans from, say, Nigerians or Ugandans.  Sort of like "Irish-American" distinguishes Americans with Irish ancestors from people in Ireland.

Also, I'm not sure when the term "African-American" came into use, but I think it might have dated back to a time when calling someone "black" was almost as rude as calling them the n-word.

I can certainly see garbon's father's point.

If you're from Nigeria or Uganda you're not really an American?
You are gay.

Berkut

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Getting ready to post on Languish
« Reply #7546 on: Today at 01:31:53 pm »
I'm not sure that one belongs here. This is a sentiment that my father has expressed as he otherwise feel like we are qualifying his American status. He'd much rather be called black.

Yeah I never understood why "African-American" was used than just saying "Black"

Besides there was a time when you knew exactly who that term referred to, but now we have so many immigrants from Africa that it gets confusing.

Well, actually, that's the point--it's used to distinguish black Americans from, say, Nigerians or Ugandans.  Sort of like "Irish-American" distinguishes Americans with Irish ancestors from people in Ireland.

Also, I'm not sure when the term "African-American" came into use, but I think it might have dated back to a time when calling someone "black" was almost as rude as calling them the n-word.

Huh?

If you are from Nigeria and are an American, then you could be called a "Nigerian-American". But if you are from Nigeria and not an American, then no, you are not really an American.

I don't understand the confusion here...

Nor do I understand black people not liking being called "African-American". On the other hand, I don't understand them not liking being called "black" or "colored". Hell, I don't really understand any of the social rules around what to call minorities.

But I don't really have to understand - not really. I am pretty happy calling them whatever term they prefer to be called, within reason. That seems to be just simple politeness. And if it changes over time, that's ok too - it doesn't seem like such a burden to adjust.
“If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven’t been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #7547 on: Today at 01:36:45 pm »

Huh?

If you are from Nigeria and are an American, then you could be called a "Nigerian-American". But if you are from Nigeria and not an American, then no, you are not really an American.

I don't understand the confusion here...

"it's used to distinguish black Americans from, say, Nigerians or Ugandans. " Many Americans from Nigeria or Uganda are black, it just seemed more likely to me that it was the American part that differed and not the black part.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:09:32 pm by The Brain »
You are gay.

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #7548 on: Today at 01:36:46 pm »
I am pretty happy calling them whatever term they prefer to be called

Except they use both terms and disagree on what is the best term to use.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

dps

• Octogon Champion
  • aa's boobs
« Reply #7549 on: Today at 01:40:42 pm »

Nor do I understand black people not liking being called "African-American". On the other hand, I don't understand them not liking being called "black" or "colored". Hell, I don't really understand any of the social rules around what to call minorities.

But I don't really have to understand - not really. I am pretty happy calling them whatever term they prefer to be called, within reason. That seems to be just simple politeness. And if it changes over time, that's ok too - it doesn't seem like such a burden to adjust.

Well, the problem can be that when the "rulss" about what is appropriate and polite to call someone change, it's not like they get posted somewhere.  When I was a kid, a lot of older people referred to black people as "colored".  That had been the polite term to use for roughly the first half of the 20th century (as in NAACP--National Association for the Advancement of Colored People).  But by the 1970s, black people, especially younger ones, tended to not like the term and preferred to be called black, which as I mentioned had previously been considered almost as insulting as the n-word.  A lot of white folks, especially older ones, didn't get that memo, and continued to use "colored" and wondered why people got offended.

EDIT: also, what Valmy said.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:44:17 pm by dps »

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #7550 on: Today at 02:12:57 pm »
Are Nigerian-Americans African-Americans?
You are gay.

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #7551 on: Today at 02:15:42 pm »
Are Nigerian-Americans African-Americans?

I am not sure :hmm:
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #7552 on: Today at 02:18:21 pm »
I miss Adebisi. :(
You are gay.